Head wound and stitches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtykris

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello

About 2 months ago I suffered a wound to the forehead that required 27 stitches internal and external. The stitches are out and is healing nicely. I asked my non-diving personal physician about when I could go diving again due to possible pressure related issues and he said to wait one year!!

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks

David

Assuming that you had no BRAIN injury associated with the head wound, you were safe to dive within a few days of the original suturing. If there was concussion associated, that's a different story, and the diving restriction would depend on the severity of the brain injury.

Hello

No brain injury - no concussion - just a group of sutures

Thanks - I'm ready to get back out locally and back to the cenotes in October

Thanks for your response.

David

About 2 months ago I suffered a wound to the forehead that required 27 stitches internal and external. The stitches are out and is healing nicely. I asked my non-diving personal physician about when I could go diving again due to possible pressure related issues and he said to wait one year!!David

Hi David,

Given the absence of brain injury, complications of the suture healing process or other medical issues that pose a threat to safe SCUBA, the basis for the recommendation to wait a year before diving is entirely unclear. Did the doctor provide a rationale for this recommendation? If not, perhaps it would be informative to inquire about the reasons.

Provided that the sutures have healed well and without complication, there is no apparent reason to forego diving.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

It is hard to second guess the opinion of the treating physician. I would leave a message for him to call you back, see if he can explain his logic. Or see another doctor in the same surgical group, and get a second opinion.

What would be logical is if you lacerated the great temporal artery, or if your surgeon cut the vessel - he or she might feel uncomfortable about your wearing a mask, until reperfusion occur from another vascular area. But still, I think it is a little too conservative.

What happens when we practice in this sue happy society, is that the cover my a$$ mode kicks in, and we don't give any opinions, except the most conservative.

What would be logical is if you lacerated the great temporal artery, or if your surgeon cut the vessel....

Hi fisherdvm,

I'm familiar with the superficial temporal artery, branches of which serve areas around the forehead, but have never heard of "the great temporal artery." Where might I find out about its anatomy?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

You're right, it is the superficial temporal. I guess it is just one of those "great holy cr.a.p. type of artery" that you'd say just before you cut through it. Thanks for cleaning up after my mess.

You are a great asset to our community, and I am glad you are here.

Back to the OP's question, I do understand that some plastic surgeon are meticuluous about post operative care. Perhaps he doesn't want any friction on the wound, and suggest that you give up diving, to let the collagen mature better, before subjecting it to irritation.

DocV -- I so enjoy reading your posts -- PLEASE keep them coming.

That is very nice of you to say, Peter--thank you.

It is my intention to "keep them coming."

Regards,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom