Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head wound and stitches

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

EEK Head wound and stitches

Hello

About 2 months ago I suffered a wound to the forehead that required 27 stitches internal and external. The stitches are out and is healing nicely. I asked my non-diving personal physician about when I could go diving again due to possible pressure related issues and he said to wait one year!!

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks

David

Assimilated Medical Mod

Currently broken

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Assuming that you had no BRAIN injury associated with the head wound, you were safe to dive within a few days of the original suturing. If there was concussion associated, that's a different story, and the diving restriction would depend on the severity of the brain injury.
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    My dive journal can be read here, and a current dive blog HERE
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Hello

No brain injury - no concussion - just a group of sutures

Thanks - I'm ready to get back out locally and back to the cenotes in October

Thanks for your response.

David

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by dtykris View Post
    About 2 months ago I suffered a wound to the forehead that required 27 stitches internal and external. The stitches are out and is healing nicely. I asked my non-diving personal physician about when I could go diving again due to possible pressure related issues and he said to wait one year!!David
    Hi David,

Given the absence of brain injury, complications of the suture healing process or other medical issues that pose a threat to safe SCUBA, the basis for the recommendation to wait a year before diving is entirely unclear. Did the doctor provide a rationale for this recommendation? If not, perhaps it would be informative to inquire about the reasons.

Provided that the sutures have healed well and without complication, there is no apparent reason to forego diving.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    It is hard to second guess the opinion of the treating physician. I would leave a message for him to call you back, see if he can explain his logic. Or see another doctor in the same surgical group, and get a second opinion.

What would be logical is if you lacerated the great temporal artery, or if your surgeon cut the vessel - he or she might feel uncomfortable about your wearing a mask, until reperfusion occur from another vascular area. But still, I think it is a little too conservative.

What happens when we practice in this sue happy society, is that the cover my a$$ mode kicks in, and we don't give any opinions, except the most conservative.

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by fisherdvm View Post
    What would be logical is if you lacerated the great temporal artery, or if your surgeon cut the vessel....
    Hi fisherdvm,

I'm familiar with the superficial temporal artery, branches of which serve areas around the forehead, but have never heard of "the great temporal artery." Where might I find out about its anatomy?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    You're right, it is the superficial temporal. I guess it is just one of those "great holy cr.a.p. type of artery" that you'd say just before you cut through it. Thanks for cleaning up after my mess.

You are a great asset to our community, and I am glad you are here.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Back to the OP's question, I do understand that some plastic surgeon are meticuluous about post operative care. Perhaps he doesn't want any friction on the wound, and suggest that you give up diving, to let the collagen mature better, before subjecting it to irritation.

DIR Practitioner

has no status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    DocV -- I so enjoy reading your posts -- PLEASE keep them coming.

Has not set a "status"

That is very nice of you to say, Peter--thank you.

It is my intention to "keep them coming."

Regards,

Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast