Pre/Post Dive Massage Therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastaci

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a nationally certified, licensed Massage therapist and have tried to find research studies on massage as it relates to diving. There are many studies that show massage as a great beneficial tool for many other sports, but I am not sure about diving since I can't find any articles with any of the national massage organizations.
Does anyone have any information about it?
I may conduct my own research after speaking with a Dive MD about possible risks.
:confused:

If anyone had research it would be DAN (see info box above your original post). Have you contacted them?

looked up DAN. Nothing but massage for breast implants. Nothing stating that you can't do it though. :wink:

I would call them. They have always been very responsive and willing to share information. Or email them with your specific questions regarding post dive massage. I am sure you will get a reply.

Hi scubastaci,

I don't believe that any such studies have been conducted and I suspect that DAN will be of very little assistance in this regard.

Our on-board diving medicine research expert is Gene Hobbs--if published studies exist, he likely can locate them. You can contact him at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=69463

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Well, I appreciate the support but I have had not had any luck so far. The one last rock worth turning would be the Aerospace Medical Association abstracts. I doubt there is anything in there but it might be worth a shot. Sorry...

Well, I appreciate the support but I have had not had any luck so far. The one last rock worth turning would be the Aerospace Medical Association abstracts. I doubt there is anything in there but it might be worth a shot. Sorry...

Google is your friend.

Our very own Dr. Deco (one of the few people in the world actually qualified to answer it) has answered this question:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/159970-massage-after-diving.html

Terry

Hi Web Monkey,

The OP's inquiry was
I am a nationally certified, licensed Massage therapist and have tried to find research studies on massage as it relates to diving. There are many studies that show massage as a great beneficial tool for many other sports, but I am not sure about diving since I can't find any articles with any of the national massage organizations. Does anyone have any information about it?

In the archival post you link, DrDeco has speculated regarding the specific issue of the possible effects massage as it may relate to inert gas off-loading. He pointed out that "Tissue blood flow does have a 'mechanical component' to it, but perfusion is primarily governed by local concentrations of carbon dioxide and products of metabolism from the active contraction of muscles. Massage does not generate any of the components that result in the opening of the precapillary sphincters that lead to the capillaries."

This, of course, is only a small, albeit quite important for diving, segment of the broader picture one would need to consider in answering whether or not massage is of benefit to the diver.

The research studies he references are as follows:

Tiidus, P. M. A Review of Human Massage Therapy: Assessing Effectiveness Primarily from Empirical Data in the Human Species
2000 / Vol. 46 / AAEP PROCEEDINGS

Hemmings B, Smith M, Graydon J, et al. Effects of massage on physiological restoration, perceived recovery, and repeated sports performance. Br J Sports Med 2000;34: 109–115.

Shoemaker JK, Tiidus PM, Mader R. Failure of manual massage to alter limb blood flow: measures by Doppler ultrasound. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1997;29:610–614.

Tiidus PM, Shoemaker JK. Effleurage massage, muscle blood flow and long-term post-exercise strength recovery. Int J Sports Med 1995;16:478–483.

I have reviewed the complete article for each of these references and not a single one has studied SCUBA divers, nor even made mention of them.

Given the above discussion, I do not believe that the actual question here really has been answered.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo,

Thanks for looking into all of those articles for me!

In school, we learned that a vigorous massage prior to a sporting event, warmed the muscles, allowing for greater flexibility and decreased the possibility of muscle related injuries. Post-event massage(when all competitions were done) was performed with slow steady movements meant to relax the muscle and therefore relax the client. Bringing their breathing and heart rate down to a resting rate. Surveys that were sent home with the clients (at least the ones that we were mailed back) came back with the same response: they "felt better overall after receiving a massage after the event as opposed to events where massage was not offered".

I have sent an email to DAN and asked if they knew of any contraindications to receiving any massage before or after a dive.

The reason for my inquiry are these points: if a diver received a pre-event sports massage prior to the dive, would he be less prone to muscle spasm/cramping while on the dive? If a diver received post dive massage, would that help their muscles relax and therefore aid in any recovery? Last point: Whether for the possible benefits or just because they want one, is there any reason why you would have to wait x amount of time before performing massage on someone who has just finished a dive?
:D

DocVikingo, Thanks for looking into all of those articles for me!

The reason for my inquiry are these points: if a diver received a pre-event sports massage prior to the dive, would he be less prone to muscle spasm/cramping while on the dive? If a diver received post dive massage, would that help their muscles relax and therefore aid in any recovery? Last point: Whether for the possible benefits or just because they want one, is there any reason why you would have to wait x amount of time before performing massage on someone who has just finished a dive?
:D

Hi scubastaci,

My pleasure.

I really can't speak to your first two points.

As regards your third point, while as I said I can quote no research, it is my opinion that except for perhaps especially vigorous Rolfing, vicious deep tissue massage or similar assaults, immediate massage poses no threat to someone who has just completed a recreational dive or two. For those who have been doing multiple dives over multiple days or have been doing deco diving, it would seem prudent to wait an hour or two before massage. This has little to do with any potential dangers inherent in routine massage beyond that lying down or otherwise becoming sedentary very likely impedes inert gas elimination. Folks who have taken on a significant nitrogen load would be better advised to remain mildly active for an hour or two after the last dive.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom