Sick While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayne

Reaction score
I need some help. I just passed my Padi coarse in Cozumel.
Everytime I dove I got sick and had to surface to puke.
This was during 4 shore dives and 2 boat dives. The depth ranged from 30 ft to 60 ft.
I had no fever, vertigo, stomach pain etc.
During my Open Water, I did swallow a fair bit of salt water, and again a little during my other 2 dives. Could this be the cause?
It was suggested that I may have motion sickness and to try a motion sickness pill.
Thank You

I'm not a doctor. This isn't medical advice.

However it is possible to become motion sick under water, particularly if there is surge or current.

It is possible to take medicine; however, you should start the night before and continue through the boat trip.

Use caution as it is my understanding that some medicines are metabolized faster under water due to increased pressure (I've always wondered if this is true, but I'm not going to test it to find out). THIS IS WRONG, SEE DOCVIKINGO'S POST BELOW

More importantly, you don't need to surface to vomit. You can vomit through the reg. Although distasteful, it is better than a rapid ascent to toss your lunch.

Good luck.

It's not true.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'm betting that it was all the salt water you swallowed...that will make you puke for sure.

(I always rinse my mouth out with fresh water upon returning to the boat...the salt water taste in my mouth really makes me sick.)

Hi,
I posted a question way back in March about being sick while diving.
I have dived 18 times this summer, mostly in quarries, shallow, relaxed dives. Non salt water.
I am happy to report that my sickness never came back in fresh water. I am assuming that the ocean water I took in affected me.
I have also learned to relax, am able to think ahead of a problem.
My last dives were at Tobermory with my son and it was perfect.
I wish to thank all those who replied to help me.
My son and I look foreward to summer. I am also off to Cayo Largo,Cuba soon and I can not wait to dive there.

Good to hear that you are better. Bring some motion sickness medication, since yout diving has been in a quarry without waves. Most people get seasick before getting in the water but as pointed out, you can get sick underwater - just puke thru your reg. Another thing, I have heard this so many times, "If you are seasick topside, it will go away once you are in the water." In my opinion, thats bull****. I wouldnt dive if I felt sick. You be the judge of your actions and dont be pursuaded otherwise.

IzzyTahil once bubbled...
Another thing, I have heard this so many times, "If you are seasick topside, it will go away once you are in the water." In my opinion, thats bull****. I wouldnt dive if I felt sick. You be the judge of your actions and dont be pursuaded otherwise.

It all depends. I get seasick quite easily but I am slowly getting a hang of it. Sometimes when the surface is rough and I feel quite queasy, getting in the water (as long as the current underneath is not as bad) is actually quite helpful. It just depends on the condition and the circumstance. However I agree that if I am really seasick when I am on a boat, diving is not going to help much but why continue to suffer and puke on the surface when you can do it below :)

All kidding aside, motion sickness certainly could make a person throw up underwater, beside taking medication, plenty of rest the night before, lots of fluid before diving to prevent dehydration are a few things that might help.

There was a thread about aerophagia (swollowing air) while diving a few months back, you can do a search on it. It is another possible reason that might cause you to throw up.

Some other information may be useful, did you have a headache? did you feel better after throwing up? Were you sick before getting into water?

Might not be a bad idea to seek doctor's help in person, we can only guess a bit here and there from info you gave us!

I have got a buddy who pukes every time he gets into the ocean. It is the salt water.

I dive with this guy all the timein fresh water and he is ok.
He has over 150 dives this season alone in fresh water.

He usually just pukes right away and then in fine for the rest of the dive. But salt water in his mouth makes him ralph....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom