Headache after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Bell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I've been reading all I can find about my problem, but I am still not sure what is causing my headaches after diving.

I've logged 50 dives now, and have always had a problem after longer dives (> 30 mins let's say) with a headache that centers just in front of my ears. It's painful to the point that I will sometimes skip an afternoon dive. I can relieve the pain somewhat by applying pressure to the joint area there (tmj), and it tends to go away more quickly if I eat something. While on a recent dive trip with several very experienced divers, we were discussing what might be causing the problem. They focused more on the gear side of things. Either the regulator mouthpiece not properly fitting or the hose a bit long, causing it to "push" the reg to the side and resulting in my clenching the mouthpiece tighter. On later dives, I could tell that the hose was pushing the mouthpiece a bit, and I can see that after a while, the jaw muscles would get sore from holding onto the mouthpiece tightly.

After reading several different discussions on various sites on the internet, and talking to a guy at the LDS, I'm being presented with the possibility that I'm skip breathing and THAT is the cause of the headaches (I do tend to slow my breathing down some underwater to try and conserve air).

If I had a place really close by where I could go spend an hour at depth, I'd go try a few things, but the nearest interesting spot is a couple hours away. Is there anybody that can help me diagnose the problem before I jump into a gear change?

Thanks!

Scott

OK, I've been reading all I can find about my problem, but I am still not sure what is causing my headaches after diving.

I've logged 50 dives now, and have always had a problem after longer dives (> 30 mins let's say) with a headache that centers just in front of my ears. It's painful to the point that I will sometimes skip an afternoon dive. I can relieve the pain somewhat by applying pressure to the joint area there (tmj),

Try a Seacure mouthpiece.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/pics/seacure.jpg

It's molded (you put it in hot water then bite it) to fit your teeth. It should help a lot if you're getting tmj pain from holding your current mouthpiece.

Also, you might keep an eye on how hard you're biting it. You don't need a death-grip on the mouthpiece, just enough to keep it in your mouth.

Terry

You either have a sinus problem (only a doctor can tell), or you have CO2 buildup (as mentioned before). However, CO2 buildup does not get away if you eat, but it is a result of bad (skipped) breathing.

If you are unable to equalize properly, you may want to consult a doctor!

A seacure mouthpiece or miflex hose might help if it is a jaw pressure thing.

At the end of our OW course, the instructor did say that headaches are often a sign of dehydration and that drinking more water before/after the dive might be more effective than any headache meds. So, that's something to consider too.

Hi Scotty,

Headache secondary to "skip breathing" is the result of abnormally elevated levels of CO2. This type of headache does not tend to "center just in front of the ears" nor is the discomfort relieved by applying pressure to the TMJ area. Rather, C02 headaches tend to be throbbing, splitting and localized in the region of the forehead. Moreover, they are not lessened by applying pressure anywhere on the scalp, by eating something and often not by headache analgesics, even quite potent ones. They eventually do go away by themselves, but can be unpleasantly long-lasting.

You may be on the right track looking for a more "mechanical" reason and alterations in hose position, type of mouth piece and oral grip strength seem worth experimentation.

You may wish to read:

Scubadoc's "Headaches and Diving"
http://www.scuba-doc.com/headache.html

and DAN's "Headaches and Diving"
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=68

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

I also get bad headaches after diving. I don't skip breath, can't figure this out at all. I have been fine for two years and now this year i get a headache right after the first dive and that is it for the day. It feels like sinus problems because this summer i have had alot of headaches just at home without diving. Maybe my dry suit is getting to tight around the neck or wrist seals?? Maybe try diving my wet suit again to see what happens. I don't know how to stop this, i would hate to give up diving over this but it is not worth getting these headaches after diving.

It feels like sinus problems because this summer i have had alot of headaches just at home without diving.
Any doctors in your town? See one. :eyebrow:

I've logged 50 dives now, and have always had a problem after longer dives (> 30 mins let's say) with a headache that centers just in front of my ears. It's painful to the point that I will sometimes skip an afternoon dive. I can relieve the pain somewhat by applying pressure to the joint area there (tmj), and it tends to go away more quickly if I eat something. While on a recent dive trip with several very experienced divers, we were discussing what might be causing the problem. They focused more on the gear side of things. Either the regulator mouthpiece not properly fitting or the hose a bit long, causing it to "push" the reg to the side and resulting in my clenching the mouthpiece tighter. On later dives, I could tell that the hose was pushing the mouthpiece a bit, and I can see that after a while, the jaw muscles would get sore from holding onto the mouthpiece tightly.

After reading several different discussions on various sites on the internet, and talking to a guy at the LDS, I'm being presented with the possibility that I'm skip breathing and THAT is the cause of the headaches (I do tend to slow my breathing down some underwater to try and conserve air).

If I had a place really close by where I could go spend an hour at depth, I'd go try a few things, but the nearest interesting spot is a couple hours away. Is there anybody that can help me diagnose the problem before I jump into a gear change?

Thanks!

Scott

I had the exact same problem in the first year of my scuba diving career. I couldn't find a solution thus I didn't do anything.Now its gone and everything is fine. I think I had headaches because I was a bit rookie back then and I did not pay attention to my course underwater...I was changing depth(few meters up-down) without noticing it.Now I am very carefull in order to avoid those pressure games with my health.You said you have done 50 dives until now so I believe you have the same problem as I did

I find that after doing courses when we are going up and down alot I tend to have headache after the day of diving, but it only lasts maybe a hour. When doing regular dives that don't alter depths up & down I don't feel any headaches. I do find to be a shallow breather at times so maybe its a few things combined that cause it... is it anything to worry about ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom