Need more expert opinion...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the weekend, I tagged along as a family member got certified. On dive number 2, she experienced a leg cramp. No biggie, she tugged her fin tip and slowly worked it out and we went on. The next day it was a bit sore, but it didn't interfere with activities.
Last night, she called and asked whether it was common for leg cramps such as this one to remain painful and sore for longer periods due to the nature of the exercise and perhaps the cold water. She reported that it was actually tender to the touch and was more severe than any related injury she had had before.
She's a nurse and has access to medical professionals. I advised her to consult one of them and perhaps have the doc contact DAN. However, I am no expert so I couldn't advise her as to whether this was truly a "dive related" injury or not. In my layman's experience, it doesn't sound like any DCS injury I've ever heard of, but mine is a relatively valueless opinion. What do you think? Would a call to DAN be a good idea? (I'm a member...she's not--yet)

Its NEVER a bad idea to call DAN. If your worried enough to post about it here, CALL THEM. If for nothing else, it will offer peace of mind. They are awesome people offering us a valuable service-- use it!! :D

I had leg cramps something terrible before I switched fins-- and I had a couple that would hurt for a few days-- is it a professional opinion? Nope. Just saying, it happened to me. Call DAN. :D

Try posting this question here because it is more of a medical section and perhaps you will get more result (and maybe even better results).

Over the weekend, I tagged along as a family member got certified. On dive number 2, she experienced a leg cramp. No biggie, she tugged her fin tip and slowly worked it out and we went on. The next day it was a bit sore, but it didn't interfere with activities.
Last night, she called and asked whether it was common for leg cramps such as this one to remain painful and sore for longer periods due to the nature of the exercise and perhaps the cold water. She reported that it was actually tender to the touch and was more severe than any related injury she had had before.
She's a nurse and has access to medical professionals. I advised her to consult one of them and perhaps have the doc contact DAN. However, I am no expert so I couldn't advise her as to whether this was truly a "dive related" injury or not. In my layman's experience, it doesn't sound like any DCS injury I've ever heard of, but mine is a relatively valueless opinion. What do you think? Would a call to DAN be a good idea? (I'm a member...she's not--yet)

I'm like you as far as being no expert, but I too doubt it would be some type of DCS injury. If it's her second dive on being certified, I don't see how she could possibly be suffering from any type of DCS problems when you consider the depth and time on what would be a second dive. You could always call DAN but I feel sure they will tell you the same thing.

BDSC

I had the same problem on my first dive day while qualifying for certification. Didn't go deep enough or stay in the water long enough to get the bends but my legs (calfs) cramped up pretty badly. I borrowed a pair of Force Fins from one of the DM's which took care of the problem.

I used to get major cramps playing soccer that the pain would last till the next game. I would also get cramps if I wore swim fins that were too stiff.

Ide suggest a pair of Mares Volo like fins and try and kick from the hips instead of the calfs themselves. Also go slow and drink plenty of fluids. I also am adamant about stretching especially the calfs by reaching out and holding the balls of my feet and toes.

A lot of people today use the computer a lot and remain in a static posture (seated for hours on end) or are constantly on thier feet with no rest. If either, try and rest or break from the routine.

Walter is right about that... but for reasons that I don't understand... I tend to get cramps from diving... not from swimming ...just after diving. Not from heavy exersize.. just diving. Does not seem to matter if it is hot or cold out...I suspect that it is some salt imbalance thing... I remember one last year where my thumb cramped about two hours after diving...cramped for over an hour.... and left the thumb area sore for weeks.

On a normal dive weekend, bet I will have several cramps.....either while diving or right after. The rest of the year... nothing....in fact, it is the only time i get cramps...have tried all the standard things.. drink a lot... eat extra potassium... etc, etc...

They are split between the calf (about 50%) and anywhere else... sometimes silly places.

I have sort of learned to live with it.

I have had cramps while diving that I was able to resolve underwater but the muscle was terribly sore for days. It never hurts to call DAN if you aren't sure, though.

I think we have a resolution. The diver reported that the soreness was disapating, but she had talked to an ER physician who examined her and called DAN just to be sure. All appears to be well. Thanks for the help, all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom