Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Night Time Blocked Nose

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

Night Time Blocked Nose

Every night, I go to bed, if I don't fall asleep straight away, I always seem to have one nostril that gets blocked, it clears in the morning after a while, but I am wondering if there is a medical condition for this or is it just bad luck?

Thanks,

Bobby
    Bobby

Registered

is missing the murky water.

Photos
    I have a lot of sinus issues. Here is a thread I started about this time last year.

Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

A year later and I am still rinsing and living an improved life!

Medical Moderator

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

nasal obstruction

Yes, I think that the Neti-Pot is great and often recommend it.

There is something called the "nasal cycle" where the tissue on the side of the nose (the turbinates) alternatively swell on one side and then on the other side. However, if the blockage is always on the same side, it is probably a good idea to see an ENT doctor to see if there is something anatomic causing the problem (like a deviated septum, etc...).

If you want a local referral, feel free to PM me...

Best,

Mike
    dive.rothschilddesign.com

"We dive and reappear in new places"
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1847

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I too have found the nasal rinse very helpful. I don't use it all the time, but when ever a dive is coming up I start a week or so ahead with some sort of rinse. A hot shower in the morning and then the sinus rinse works wonders before a dive. Allergies! Don't want to risk medicating, and have found this solution works best for me.

[IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last> [ to the left, like this> ]

custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

drl
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Could you be allergic to something in your bed? Feather pillows, dust mites, something like that?
    I second the sinus rinse recommendation. I use the NeilMed, and it helps a lot.

Registered

photog wannabe

Dives
    200 - 499
    Is the blocked nostril on the side you sleep on? Or the side you slept on most recently during the night. It may just be drainage and after you wake up and get "vertical" the problem is solved.