PREGNANCY AND DIVING?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandra

Reaction score
I just finished an open water diving course two weeks ago. Yesterday, I found out that I am pregnant. My instructor's position is that I should not dive anymore until the pregnancy is finished. (I already had plans for the
weekend!) I really want to know the risks I am taking if I keep on diving.

Can I just limit my trips to no more than 30 feet? or do I have to quit EVERYTHING related to the sport until the period is finished?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to pass along the bad news but my OB/GYN (a diver) told me that she advises not diving if you are even trying to get pregnant. She said while there is very little research on it they just don't know enough about the way the fetus handles the excess nitrogen to warrant the risk.

I have found that DAN has some good articles on such subjects so you might want to contact them. The can also refer you to a doctor in your area that practices dive medicine if you want to see someone specifically who is trained.

Diving is a lifetime sport. It will still be there for you after you deliver a healthy baby!

Good Luck!

Hello,

DAN is good and all that but getting strait answers out of them is a major feat. If you can do it more power to you. That's the only problem I have with them.

Think it was on this board someone posted some russian studies done with fetus and diving. May wanna look at those to.

Ed

The most reasonable explanation I have heard on the incompatibility of diving and pregnancy is that (1) we just don't know enough about its effects, and (2) if you do require recompression therapy while pregnant you're *really* into an unknown realm, with hyperbaric oxygen, possible oxtox convulsions and all its accompanying unknowns having potentially crippling or life-threatening effects on the baby.
Why risk it when you don't have to?
My sister dove during her first pregnancy years ago - the baby was premature and was almost lost. We have no idea if the diving and the premature birth are related, but her next two went to term without a hitch. She didn't dive with the second and third, and even though the first eventually came out ok, she is left with the haunting feeling that she may have unnecessarily endangered her baby. She and I recommend no diving during pregnancy.
Rick

First of all...congrats!

From everything I've heard, diving is a no-no while pregnant.

I'm curious about free-diving though. Does that hurt a fetus? Or is it mainly the nitrogen involved with diving that is the main concern?

Diving is a lifetime sport. It will still be there for you after you deliver a healthy baby!

[/B][/QUOTE]

that is very wise.........

fa:):):)

Hello,

I'm no dr but I would assume that freediving would be out as well. Not due to n2 build up but due to o2 shortages. Isn't lack of o2 one of the things that causes problems?

Ed

It would be incredibly selfish and pointless for you to continue to dive. Diving is a fun hobby but does not warrant the endangerment of the babies life or possible defects. You are a mother now and with that comes sacrifice, so get used to it. Your life is going to change, and it's a wonderful thing, but you are responsible for another life now and need to act accordingly. I promise that the sport of scuba diving will still be around in a year and the reefs aren't being destroyed that fast, so you will not miss a thing.

Congratulations! but stop the diving and focus on becoming a mother.

(no flames intended here, just trying to make a clear point)

Sincerely

Father to be in 8 weeks.

Hi Sandra,

First of all congratulations for your baby!
I think that the scientists made a point, it is dangerous to dive in this condition and it does not make sense to risk to blame youself for the rest of your life if the baby should be harmed.
I am sure that if you want to continue to go diving you will do it. This is somethig you don't forget so easy and the desire comes back again and again, like an addiction.
After all, nine months is not so much, being a member of this forum, i think, should keep you in touch with the diving world during your pregnacy.
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom