chum when reduce depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arrow

Registered
Reaction score
I get sick when diving. I've seen other threads related to this. It just started a couple of years ago. I get sick when I go up in depth from 35 - 50 feet. If I'm on a wall and go up to the top of the reef I'll get the dry heaves or chum for fish. I'll do it again when I go up to my safety stop and sometimes at the surface. I do have problems equalizing, but I'm very careful and am usually the last one down and up. Taking sea sickness pills seems to stop the problem. It isn't sea sickness because I've never been sick on a boat, even in seas that have you hanging on with both hands. I also can ride roller coasters that do everything you can imagine and have never been sick. I suspect is related to an inner ear problem, but I never get vertigo when it happens.

I was wondering if Jessica or others that talked about getting sick get it when reducing depth or if any the good doctors have any idea.

I suspect that your problem is one of regurgitation rather than nausea and
vomiting.

If you vomit on ascending to the surface, you probably have pressure induced GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Remember Boyle's Law -- air filled sacs decrease in size as pressure is increased and increase in size as pressure is decreased. What is happening is that you are swallowing air subconsciously as you try to equalize during the dive. As you do this at depth due to the small up and down movements in the water column, you are putting air into your stomach. As you ascend to the surface, your lower esophageal sphincter is being overwhelmed by the expanding air in your stomach.
This is a very common complaint and it doesn't necessarily mean you have a serious problem -- unless you have it while not diving. You might possibly go to your MD and be sure everything is OK --if so you can manage this yourself with several easy maneuvers.

First --don't eat a big meal and then dive.

Second --carry some medication along on the trip that will cut down on acid reflux, i.e., Pepsid, Tagamet or Zantac.

Third, take along a bottle of antacid tablets and take several before each dive.

Fourth-- try to equalize by using methods other than swallowing.

Many divers are prone to this problem and find that their greatest problem is on the second dive --usually after eating gas producing dive boat food! It's best to eat less food and try not to wash food down with liquids --during which most air is swallowed.

Other causes of this problem include obesity, tight wet suits and ill-fitting gear; and taking an alpha blocker medication that causes relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (muscle) such as "Hytrin" or "Flomax", a mild blood pressure drug that's also used for prostate problems can also cause heart burn as well as severe nasal congestion.

Try these simple tricks and I think your dives will be more pleasant!

I haven't thought about that but it makes sense. I sometimes get some mild acid reflux and take antacid medicines. I usually take some when I have had a problem diving. Do you have any idea why the seasickness pills seem to work better than the antacid medicine?

Most seasickness pills work by blunting the nerve input to the inner ear - thus reducing the false positional stimuli coming in.

If pills help your situation, there probably is some component of vertigo - and this could then be related to pressure changes (alternobaric) associated with ascent in the water column.

We might be dealing with a combination of the two situations. A good ear evaluation might be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom