swim ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shawn

Reaction score
has anyone got any idea how to clear your ears , i allways have the same problem i end up having an eco in one ear for weeks after diving. if anyone has any sujestions i would be really gratefull, as its begining to spoil each dive i do;-0

try not to get your ears wet!!

haha over here we have a product called SWIMERS EAR
its just ear drops which helps to evaporate the water in your outer ear try sleeping with that ear down so it leaks out a bit usually helps me

this might sound dumb but a trampoline does it for me every time....good luck

'Swimear' does the job nicely but it can be a bit aggressive.

A more natural and gentler solution is a mix of equal parts spirt vinegar, nut oil and purified water.

A few drops of olive oil or nut oil before you dive should help too.

Ok, this does not constitute medical advice, just telling you what my doc told me when I had a similar issue...

He told me to use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol, and white vinegar in your ear, and leave it there for a few minutes. It dries my ear out after every dive... No problems since...

nickjb once bubbled...
A more natural and gentler solution is a mix of equal parts spirt vinegar, nut oil and purified water. A few drops of olive oil or nut oil before you dive should help too.

I've heard this before but there's something about putting oil in my ear that makes me squeemish. It's sounds like it'd do more to promote infection rather than prevent it. I usually just rinse with fresh water.

Diving removes the natural skin oils that protect your skin. The olive oil just replaces/protects that. It is pretty harmless and recommended by a number of doctors. I should probably add some lengthy disclaimer here for our legal friends:)

I have swim ear too, I just try to rinse with fresh water and dry with tissue as best I can without actually pushing anything into them.
I can say for definite that olive oil won't do any harm - my Dad's a doctor and he recommends it - he says that if you are going to get your ears cleaned out by sringe you should put olive oil in first and let it all soak in.

I use rubbing alcohol after every dive. Just a few drops in each ear for 10-15 seconds. When I dive a lot, I will continue using it for a few days after I return home as well.

I use swimmers ear, or comparable product after every dive ( or pair of dives, if on a dive boat). Otherwise, I always have ear problems. Dont know why, but for some reason, water finds it's way into my ears. I might buy stock in the stuff...

:guitar:

Shawn asked "has anyone got any idea how to clear your ears , i allways have the same problem i end up having an eco in one ear for weeks after diving. if anyone has any suggestions i would be really grateful, as its begining to spoil each dive i do."

The thread picked up the issue of "cleariing" one's ears of water and the ensuing problems of swimmer's ear. I believe that Shawn was asking about something very different: problems in equalizing. Swimmer's ear, AKA outer ear infection or otitis externa, occurs when the ear canal is exposed to water and becomes infected with bacteria. The canal may appear red and swollen. The main symptom is pain with movement of the ear or touching the ear or pushing on the area in front the ear.

Swimmer's ear is not necessarily related to equalization problems and typical preventative treatments for swimmer's ear (50/50 mix of vinegar and rubbing alcohol) can actually exacerbate conditions in an ear that has become inflamed or whatever else due to equalization problems.

So, Shawn, in the interest of being responsive to you, did we miss the big picture? Is the initial problem you are having a problem of clearing your ears DURING the dive, or AFTER the dive?

If the issue is clearing DURING the dive, I would imagine one or more of the Scubaboard denizens of the deep will be able to provide suggestions re equalizing your ears during a dive. And if these methods don't immediately help, I'd suggest finding your way to an ENT doc (preferably with diving medicine exp) to see if there are structural reasons why conventional equalization methods aren't working for you.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom