Possible Hyperbaric Chamber Explosion in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that on the news while I was gone to lunch. They said something about a burn victim. It had to be more than just a chamber bursting.

"Explosion" in a chamber normally translates (loosely) to a flash fire inside rather than a simple rupture of the pressure vessel.

Increased partial pressures of Oxygen combined with an ignition source is not a good thing.

Correct, chambers do not explode and neither do SCUBA tanks.

Most likely it was a flash fire inside the chamber.

How do you get a flashfire in a closed chamber.:confused:
Someone smoking in the chamber.:)

How do you get a flashfire in a closed chamber.:confused:
Electrical glitch=spark+O2=bang.

What killed the astronauts inside their capsule back when.

Electrical glitch=spark.

Yep,that's an option.Didn't think about that one.
Just assumed that all electrical points would be WELL insulated.
They are as far as I've seen,but only saw the military chambers.

I saw that on the news while I was gone to lunch. They said something about a burn victim. It had to be more than just a chamber bursting.
Burn victims are frequently treated in a hyperbaric chamber.

We don't allow synthetic clothing in our chamber for this very reason- static electricity is the hyperbaric environment is not a good thing.

Typical news: "Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is most commonly used for diving injuries. " Um, not really. It should have read, Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is most commonly known for treating diving injuries but more common conditions such as CO poisoning and problematic and non-healing wounds are seen and on a more frequent basis.

As I have only seen about 6 different chambers, none of them being monoplace, I would probably dispute that they are the most common, although the cost for a multiplace, they could be right. I used to have a directory of all US Chambers and it also specified the personnel capacities as well.

They also make the incident sound like an explosion followed by a chamber failure. Both are bad but the former is more likely. For a chamber to completely fail, well, let's just say everyone's day would be worse!

I do hope the best for the patients no matter what the injuries or cause(s).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom