mild stroke & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I searched this forum and found an old thread, below.

My situation is that I had a mild stroke last year. The symptoms were only left arm, hand and facial tingling, numbness and weakness. No vision or memory issues (aside: I was very lucky). For the MDs - diagnosis confirmed by MRI (with diffusion) as "probable acute lacunar infarct right corona radiata". All symptoms have since resolved & I have been so regular in working out that I am probably stronger and in better physical shape than before the stroke.

All diagnostic procedures have pointed to birth control pills as the cause of the clot, as I have no other medical history or reason for the stroke. Yes, I even had the transesophageal echocardiogram to verify that no part of my heart seems to be throwing clots anywhere.

I immediately ceased the hormones and began aspirin therapy, 325 mg daily. An MD recommended by DAN (a family practitioner but very experienced diver and researcher) said I should have no greater risk diving than anyone else. I was frightened enough to stay out of the water for 6 months, but have since been on an extended dive trip this year with no problems.

Here is my issue: When filling out releases, etc. at various places, if you check "stroke" it tends to freak people out. I don't want some inexperienced dive shop staff member telling me I can't dive when an MD said it was fine. I have noticed that some forms do not ask "stroke" and some do. Should I decline to check that box if it is there?

Are there further studies I could carry with me to reassure people I am safe to dive? Or is that not worth the effort? Should I carry an official doctor's release to dive?

I am planning another trip this summer and don't want to get all the way somewhere and have a problem.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions,

sapphire :hart:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458&highlight=stroke

sapphire once bubbled...

Here is my issue: When filling out releases, etc.
<snip> Should I decline to check that box if it is there?

Should I carry an official doctor's release to dive?

sapphire :hart:

Yes. You should check the box. In the extremely unlikely event of a realted accident, knowledge of the prior history could be invaluable.

Yes. Carry a doctor's release. A relly detailed one. You don't need to cart around your entire medical file, but a letter providing a synopsis of this episode, related tests, and an unrestricted medical release to return to diving would put most dive ops at ease.

Finally, don't wait until you get there to spring this on some unsuspecting shop person. Contact them now. Be up front, and be prepared to answer some questions which should help to put them at ease. If you show them that you have taken this seriously, they will treat you with respect.

Yes. You should check the box. In the extremely unlikely event of a realted accident, knowledge of the prior history could be invaluable.
Yes. Carry a doctor's release. A relly detailed one. You don't need to cart around your entire medical file, but a letter providing a synopsis of this episode, related tests, and an unrestricted medical release to return to diving would put most dive ops at ease.
Finally, don't wait until you get there to spring this on some unsuspecting shop person. Contact them now. Be up front, and be prepared to answer some questions which should help to put them at ease. If you show them that you have taken this seriously, they will treat you with respect.

Thanks for the advice. I can never be sure IF they will have such a box - if you have seen one release, you have seen one release. But I agree I could carry a doctor's release. However, to protect my medical privacy, I don't think I would carry anything too detailed (related tests, etc). It would only mean something to another physician, and I would think a dive operation should accept the release on its face. It can be embarrassing to have people loudly (or in a not so private manner) discuss your medical history, especially in an unknowing manner.

I agree with you about checking in advance and I would hate to drop something on a busy shop person as they are trying to organize divers on a boat! Maybe I should ask the operation to fax me their release in advance, so I can see what I might need to show them??

sapphire

Sapphire-

I too suffered what one of my doctors claimed was a stroke back in 1985. Symptoms were partial paralysis of the right arm and garbled speech. They went away within 6 months.

Since there seemed to be disagreement between my doctors, I have considered it an uncertain diagnosis and don't check the boxes.

I worked for a dive shop for a while and our directions were that any question on our release form answered with a "yes" (well, except for "sex") was automatic grounds for denial. However, if the diver carried (or could obtain) a letter from their physician stating it was OK to dive, we would accept that.

Dr. Bill

sapphire once bubbled...

Thanks for the advice. I can never be sure IF they will have such a box - if you have seen one release, you have seen one release. But I agree I could carry a doctor's release. However, to protect my medical privacy, I don't think I would carry anything too detailed (related tests, etc). It would only mean something to another physician, and I would think a dive operation should accept the release on its face. It can be embarrassing to have people loudly (or in a not so private manner) discuss your medical history, especially in an unknowing manner.

I agree with you about checking in advance and I would hate to drop something on a busy shop person as they are trying to organize divers on a boat! Maybe I should ask the operation to fax me their release in advance, so I can see what I might need to show them??

sapphire

Dive shops don't care about specific results of specific tests, only that appropriate tests have been done.

A 'more detailed' medical release might state, "Jane Doe had a minor stroke. After examining her MRI and blood work I am satisfied that the root cause was related to a medication she had been taking. She is no longer on that medication. I now see no reason why she can't participate in scuba diving." Signed, Dr Smith

A medical release which might draw more questions might read more like, "Jane Doe had a stroke. She is now cleared to participate in water activities." Signed, Dr Jones

The difference is obvious. Whatever you decide, please make sure that any clearance specifically mentions scuba diving, and if possible, have no restrictions. I hate waivers which state ridiculous things like, "John has a hole in his eardrum. He is cleared to dive, but only to 30 feet."

Finally, you must have a medical waiver for taking any courses. It is up to the operator whether or not to ask for one for other diving.

Finally, you must have a medical waiver for taking any courses. It is up to the operator whether or not to ask for one for other diving.

Drew - thanks for letting me know that -- I have been thinking about taking additional courses and I didn't think of this. I will make sure to get a very specific release before my trip.

sapphire

I too suffered what one of my doctors claimed was a stroke back in 1985. Symptoms were partial paralysis of the right arm and garbled speech. They went away within 6 months.

Dr. Bill - I am really glad your symptoms went away & you are back to 100%. It makes me feel better that someone else went through this and it hasn't affected their diving. I am more determined than ever to put this behind me and dive more this year!

take care,

sapphire

Just had a stroke some time Wednesday night. The only indication there was anything wrong I could not move my left arm, I had total feeling and my speech was ok. Saturday I have 90% improvement, after numerous tests Doc say's according to MRI I had a stroke but all other tests say everything is ok heart lungs etc.
Sapphire let me know how you do as I Have a trip in Oct 27 dives in 71/2 days Im hopeing

cdiver2 once bubbled...
Just had a stroke some time Wednesday night. The only indication there was anything wrong I could not move my left arm, I had total feeling and my speech was ok. Saturday I have 90% improvement, after numerous tests Doc say's according to MRI I had a stroke but all other tests say everything is ok heart lungs etc.
Sapphire let me know how you do as I Have a trip in Oct 27 dives in 71/2 days Im hopeing

I'm sorry, cdiver, I know where you've been and its not fun. It did take several months for me to regain all my arm strength. I am now a little over a year past my stroke and have been fine for quite a while. I have been on one small and 2 longish diving trips with no problems. But I do remember the physician I checked with, recommended by DAN, said I should wait for 8 weeks from the stroke before resuming diving. I think that is pushing it for your trip, and I hope you check with your own physicians before planning such a strenuous diving trip so soon.

Take care of yourself!

sapphire :)

Sapphire Im just confused the only sympton I had was I was unable to move my left arm when I woke up. I worked at geting it moveing and I started to get results right away, no numbness at all. 21/2 days later I have pain in the shoulder with certain movments as I understand it there is no pain with a stroke ?
Thanks for your kindness I will get past this.
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom