UTI after diving trips...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yen

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should have posted this under the medicine section.
Anyways, it seems that I'm prone to urinary tract infection (UTI) after a diving trip. Being a new diver, I've only been on 2 diving trips and both times, I've got UTI after.

The 1st time, after my OW training, was really bad. Guess it was coz I was quite dehydrated.
So for my 2nd diving trip, I made sure I was sufficiently hydrated and also took care to empty my bladder just before and after each dive. Still, I had a mild case of UTI after the trip.

My doctor told me that its probably coz I was in wet swimsuit whole day long. I suspect though that immersion diuresis is more likely the cause. Any insights and better yet, solutions? The prospect of getting UTI after every diving trip is very unappealing!!!

Tried searching for more information with regards to this but couldn't seem to find any similar cases whether in this board or on the net.

Ok, here's a question. Have you thought about seeing your GYN about this?

I agree that maybe you should see a doctor, etc., about UTIs that come on so easily... however, I am also prone to UTIs when engaged in (ahem) other activity. I asked my gyno about these (not helpful, as usual), I read anything I could about them but then I came to the solution: cranberry supplement pills. As opposed to trying to drink "real" cranberry juice (none of that "cocktail" stuff, and the real stuff tastes terrible). You can get these pills at Rite Aid, anywhere really, where the vitamins are.
All you have to do is take the cranberry pills as a preventative measure. I might take three in a day, and the day after. Depending on the pill strength (I don't know how they standardize extract pills, etc.) sometimes the label says to take up to three pills three times a day... which is why I usually buy the strongest ones lest the bottle run out so fast.

Apparently the way it works is by changing the Ph of your urine as it's in your bladder, making the bacteria less likely to stick to anything down there... which is what would cause an infection to begin with. I'm not in the medical profession, though, all I know is that it works. Perfectly.

At any rate, these things have changed my life. I hope it works for you and, yes, keep downing litres of water when diving anyway.

shall visit my doctor again before my next diving trip to find out more about my problem and also about the cranberry pills.
If i works for you, don't see why it won't for me. :)

Mild case: Regular cranberry juice has usually done the trick for me, but it doesn't work f/ everybody.

Moderate case: I take an OTC pill called Cystex. They are wonderful! If you can't find them in your local drug store their ph. # is 1-800-331-0221

Severe case: I get an RX from the Dr. I try & avoid this, because I always get a yeast infection after taking antibiotics.

Stay away from alcohol, it will make it worse. Drink LOTS of water.

My vote: Lots of water and cranberry in juice or capsule but especially lots of water... Sorry but this is my solution to almost any malady...99.9% of the time it works for me

I have trouble avoiding bladder infections in regular life but have been able to be without antibiotics for the last 6 months (since my last dive trip). I use D-mannose, cranberry, and you name it, if it's herbal I'm on it and I drink lots of water, and I avoid sugar. However, whenever I go diving, I have to pee like crazy because I'm cold and even when I dress warmer its better but I'm still peeing a lot by the end of the dive. I just came back from a dive trip and good thing I always bring antibiotics because I got a bladder infection by the middle of the week. The hard part is, when on vacation, I can't resist the desserts they serve after dinner and if I get a few diet Cokes and a little less water just for a few hours.... on comes the uti. It stinks. I have wondered if the pee in the wetsuit can cause an infection somehow? Is salt water really germy? I know I have that immersion diuresis so I try to dress as warm as possible. Should I switch to a dry suit? but in tropical waters? I will look like a dork and I am afraid of having to pee in the dry suit, I don't want to wear depends either. Any one else out there find a solution for this??? Maybe I will have to just take the antibiotics each trip and be grateful I have them. Or never get to enjoy eating on a trip. I am at the proper weight and I am 49 years old and active.

I am assuming you are female. If you are male, get to a doctor. Recurrent UTIs are rare in men and deserve a work up.

If you are female, I will ask, did you have a urinary tract infection diagnosed by urinalysis with micro, or culture? Dysuria can be caused by urethritis (irritation of the urethra) as well as actual cystitis (irritation or infection of the bladder).

If you had a confirmed UTI twice, I'd think about other things you are doing on a dive trip. Do you hold your urine while diving? Urinary retention predisposes to UTI. Others have referred to recreational activities outside of scuba which might be more frequent during a vacation trip . . .

Prevention of UTIs is usually staying well hydrated and urinating frequently, as well as avoiding urethral friction. Cranberry juice is anecdotally used. If you develop a clear pattern of UTI with dive trips, it may be possible to go on prophylactic antibiotics at a low dose for the trip duration, if you cannot identify a trigger that can be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom