Acute illness, when can I dive again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimmieR

Reaction score
Hey gang!

I'm sure you all want to hear about my personal problems. I have been sick this week. My fever is gone, but I have a productive cough and a soar throat. I am going to the Dr. today, and will hopefully get some antibiotics. I have this really great dive planned for Sunday, part of the procedure for procuring my Advanced card. The dive will be in 69 degree Farenheit water and will be to a maximum of 110ft. What criteria should I use to determine if my symptoms have improved enough that I can dive safely? Do I have to wait until I am done with the antibiotic, or my cough is completely gone? Please advise.

If you are not well, don't dive. That's the bottom line.

There will always be more time to dive. A good diver knows when to "call the dive".

Hope you get well soon,

~SubMariner~

Assuming that you do need antibiotics I don't think that the medication would have had enough time to clear the infection. Also consider that your airway is probably inflamed etc. I think this may cause you more problems breathing dry SCUBA air.

To answer your criteria question. If it was me; No cough, no sore throat and I would have to be at the end of the medication ie the last day or 2. Also I would have to determine exactly how I felt overall that day. If I felt a little tired or just not up to par then the day of diving would be cancelled.

Live to dive another day; to paraphase or re arrange an old saying.

Well, you two are right, of course. I suppose I knew deep down alll along, I was just entertaining a little wishful thinking. I will bow to your wisdom and put my dive off til next weekend. Thanks for the good advice.

Kimmie,

Any dive to 110', regardless of conditions, is one where you want to be feeling good and "finely tuned" with your skills.

I would postpone things until you feel better......dive safe!

Dive when no symptoms are present.
Knowing you cannot dive with this condition is part of you training.
What I mean is, if you don’t take the risk of diving with your “ cold “ you are a conservative diver who his using his diving education an knowledge.

As your cough is still productive i certainly would not recommend you diving, there might be some mucus plugs that might obstruct small airways and leading to pulmonary overpressure an barotrauma!!!!!

There might also be some difficulties to clear ears with higher risk of ear barotrauma.
The congestion might also impair sinuses drainage an also causing barotrauma.

Diving after symptoms are gone is very wise before a deep dive.

By the way deep diving when under medication is not really recommended.

Fa:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom