Mask squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was diving this week and was going down and experienced a mask squeeze. I have never had one like that ever and the next day my eyes were bloodshot. How can i make sure this does not happen again. I went to the doctor and he called it somthing i can't pronounce but said don't worry about a thing.

One prevents mask squeeze by slightly exhaling through the nose as one descends to offset the increasing pressure.

As you start to feel the mask press against your cheeks and forehead just breathe out a little.

This should have been covered in your basic open water instruction.

the K

Last edited:
Heh, reminded me of what happened on my next-to-last dive this year. The plastic knob holding the strap to the mask broke and the mask was beyond repair. Luckily there was a spare mask that I could borrow.

So down we went, me with the borrowed mask. At a few metres below surface I was really surprised as for the first time ever in my diving the eyes felt as though they would pop out. What happened was that the strap was a little tight, I put the strap a little higher on my head and the upshot was that the "exit ports" of my longish nose were blocked by mask, so I could not exhale into the mask :) I actualy couldn't pull the bottom edge off my face, so I needed to flood it from the top, take it off, and loosen the strap.

Thinking about it afterwards, I realised that I must have my nasal passages open at all times so that I never consciously need to equalise the mask pressure.

Hi aquasport,

What is described sounds much like subconjunctival hemorrhaging related to mask squeeze.

Given that there is no significant itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or incursion into the corneal area, the expectation is that the redness will resolve (the blood will be absorbed) without treatment or residua.

If the condition does involve itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or alters for the worse in any fashion, medical attention would be prudent.

Be alert to the possibility of mask squeeze and how to prevent it:

Mask Squeeze
DAN Divers Alert Network

And remember, it can always be worse----> British Sub-Aqua Club Photo http://www.bsac14.org.uk/photo/masksq2w.jpg

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I can actually clear my ears by exhaling a little bit into my mask, without needing to use my hands to valsalva. That obviously clears up any mask squeeze in the same process.

That is what he said it was DocV.

Okay.

This thread seems to have reached consensus that gently exhaling thru the nose upon descent prevents mask squeeze.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I can actually clear my ears by exhaling a little bit into my mask, without needing to use my hands to valsalva. That obviously clears up any mask squeeze in the same process.

I found that works for me also. I rarely have to clear my ears by squeezing my nose, as the pressurized mask seems to open the ears also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom