Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Mask squeeze

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Mask squeeze

I was diving this week and was going down and experienced a mask squeeze. I have never had one like that ever and the next day my eyes were bloodshot. How can i make sure this does not happen again. I went to the doctor and he called it somthing i can't pronounce but said don't worry about a thing.

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    One prevents mask squeeze by slightly exhaling through the nose as one descends to offset the increasing pressure.

As you start to feel the mask press against your cheeks and forehead just breathe out a little.

This should have been covered in your basic open water instruction.

the K
    Last edited by The Kraken; December 12th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
    Long after man is gone and his dams burst, the rivers will, once again, flow freely to the sea.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Heh, reminded me of what happened on my next-to-last dive this year. The plastic knob holding the strap to the mask broke and the mask was beyond repair. Luckily there was a spare mask that I could borrow.

So down we went, me with the borrowed mask. At a few metres below surface I was really surprised as for the first time ever in my diving the eyes felt as though they would pop out. What happened was that the strap was a little tight, I put the strap a little higher on my head and the upshot was that the "exit ports" of my longish nose were blocked by mask, so I could not exhale into the mask I actualy couldn't pull the bottom edge off my face, so I needed to flood it from the top, take it off, and loosen the strap.

Thinking about it afterwards, I realised that I must have my nasal passages open at all times so that I never consciously need to equalise the mask pressure.

Has not set a "status"

Hi aquasport,

What is described sounds much like subconjunctival hemorrhaging related to mask squeeze.

Given that there is no significant itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or incursion into the corneal area, the expectation is that the redness will resolve (the blood will be absorbed) without treatment or residua.

If the condition does involve itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or alters for the worse in any fashion, medical attention would be prudent.

Be alert to the possibility of mask squeeze and how to prevent it:

Mask Squeeze
    DAN Divers Alert Network

And remember, it can always be worse----> British Sub-Aqua Club Photo http://www.bsac14.org.uk/photo/masksq2w.jpg

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    That is what he said it was DocV.

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Exhale into the mask as you descend or simply get a leaky mask.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

DIR Group Leader

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    I can actually clear my ears by exhaling a little bit into my mask, without needing to use my hands to valsalva. That obviously clears up any mask squeeze in the same process.
    Lamont Granquist
    Rock Bottom

MOF DIR CCR
    kiva.org

"Water is patient. Water just waits. It wears down the cliff tops, the mountains, the whole of the world. Water always wins."

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by aquasport View Post
    That is what he said it was DocV.
    Okay.

This thread seems to have reached consensus that gently exhaling thru the nose upon descent prevents mask squeeze.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    I can actually clear my ears by exhaling a little bit into my mask, without needing to use my hands to valsalva. That obviously clears up any mask squeeze in the same process.
    I found that works for me also. I rarely have to clear my ears by squeezing my nose, as the pressurized mask seems to open the ears also.