Yellow nasal discharge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eggman131

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - Apologies for having to describe this rather nasty condition, but facts are facts, right?

I just finished 3 two-tank dives in Key West. My assumption is that everyone gets clogged up to a certain extent, but my nasal discharge after surfacing and blowing my nose can only be described as a brilliant yellow! One DM didn't seemed too concerned, referencing the fact that your sinuses are cleared out, etc. Ever experienced this? Am I normal?

I should mention that I'm heavy on the allergies and never really have totally clear nasal passages. (Yes, I can clear my mask; no, I wouldn't dive if I couldn't breathe through my nose at all).

Thanks!

I've had a similar experience. But I was using (don't tell anyone) Afrin, to see if it would help me equalize my ears any better. Seemed to help a litte, not sure. However, I did notice that each time I came up I would blow out a nice amber colored pool of snot. So, I wasn't sure if it was a little blood, or just old mucus that had been worked loose with all the changes in pressure, Afrin, and lake water up the nose etc. Well, I don't think Ive helped too much but at least you know your not alone. :eek:ut:

Bright yellow nasal discharge can be a sign of sinusitis, allergic or from other causes. This condition often is accompanied by other features like frontal headache & pain around the eye region, but not necessarily.

In the absence of any other signs, symptoms or lab findings, or any limitations in breathing or carrying out the range of clearing functions, such mucosal discharge likely doesn't pose any significant threat to safe scuba.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. If you have concerns about nasal discharge, consult with your doctor or an ENT.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Did not notice were you are from but I have had off color discharge at certain times of the year from the amounts of pollen in the area.

I live in the pan handle and we get quite a bit of pine pollen blown into the area in the early spring. So much so in fact it leaves a neon yellow looking ring around any body of water.

Just another curiousity...

Jeff Lane

Bob, isn't that what I got . . . in the ocean?!? :wink:

eggman131:
Hi all - Apologies for having to describe this rather nasty condition, but facts are facts, right?

I just finished 3 two-tank dives in Key West. My assumption is that everyone gets clogged up to a certain extent, but my nasal discharge after surfacing and blowing my nose can only be described as a brilliant yellow! One DM didn't seemed too concerned, referencing the fact that your sinuses are cleared out, etc. Ever experienced this? Am I normal?

I should mention that I'm heavy on the allergies and never really have totally clear nasal passages. (Yes, I can clear my mask; no, I wouldn't dive if I couldn't breathe through my nose at all).

Thanks!
eggman,

I just did quick search on the topic and found your thread but no replies that really answered your question. I am getting the same brilliant yellow snot at the end of a dive, but only some times. It doesn't seem to effect my breathing, equalizing or clearing of any squeezes. I don't seem to have a cold and it is happening in both cold water and warm water diving.

Have you figured out why it does that yet?

Thanks
Henry

Uncle Pug:
Have you considered the correspondence between your screen name and the issue of your issue?

No yoke.
I am sorry. I don't understand what you mean by "the issue of your issue". Could you explain? And I am also not clear on what my screen name has to do with my question.

Please clarify.

Thanks.
Henry

Henry:
I am sorry. I don't understand what you mean by "the issue of your issue". Could you explain? And I am also not clear on what my screen name has to do with my question.

Please clarify.

Thanks.
Henry

Henry

UP's post was directed to Eggman, not you. I guess the yoke is on you though!

Back
Top Bottom