Deviated Septum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzie q

Reaction score
My boyfriend wants to start diving, but has a deviated septum which makes him a mouth breather. Will this efect his ability to equalize and clear his mask?

I am also but can exhale and inhale through my nose when required.

If this is the case the your boyfriend will have no trouble at all diving.

In fact it is an advantage and technique most have to learn (not breathing in your nose when the mask is removed, not exhaling into your mask and fogging it during a dive, and if involved with rebreathers not exhaling into your mask and loosing your gas...

Good luck to him and get diving!!!

Before we know it the water will be turning cold again...

Jeff Lane

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't not being able to breathe out through your nose increase the risk of mask squeeze?

That said though, I have a deviated septum, but luckily I can still breathe a bit through it, and I have no problems.

Hi,

I have had a Deviated Septum and messed up sinuses... I have been diving all along without problems...

However, in the year 2000 or 2001 (cant remember), I got them fixed by doing Surgery (Turbenectomy and SMR - not sure of the spelling)...

I feel much bettr now and breathing through the nose has become much easier...

Regardless, unless his nose is like totally blocked (which I doubt), he should not have problems, but better off let him check it with an E.N.T. Doctor...

wish you and him luck...

I too once had a deviated septum. Suffered from lots of sinus infections. The potential to have a sinus infection, and for that in turn to cause a reverse squeeze are the significant dangers here IMHO.

Recommendation - See ENT and have the surgery to correct the problem. Simple outpatient procedure. Be in the water in 6 weeks diving and also be breathing better on land.

Been there, done that, had the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom