Dramamine available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twospook

New
Reaction score
Hi all, just registered and very pleased to be here! :)

I have a question I hope you guys could help me with. For motion sickness the only medication that doesn't make me completely ill is Dramamine. Unfortunately, the active ingredient dimenhydrinate is no longer available in the Netherlands, so I have to stock up on the stuff whenever I get the chance. Can any of you tell me whether Dramamine is available in Sulawesi (Manado and surroundings, to be exact) as that is our destination for our diving trip next month.

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide!

sorry- I can't answer your question about sulawesi. I have been diving elsewhere in Indonesia and only saw Dramamine once at a major resort in Bali.

But, if you like, I can send you some. As a fellow sea sicker, I know how great it is when you find something that actually works.

If you want, PM me your address and I can put it in the mail.

Jackie

Given that Dramamine Original Formula contains dimenhydrinate, a compound shown by research to adversely effect alertness & performance both topside and under increased atmospheres of pressure, I'm not sure why you are seeking it. This is not mention that there may a good reason why dimenhydrinate is no longer available in the Netherlands.

You instead may wish to look into Dramamine II (advertised as a "less drowsy" formula. As this implies, be aware that some individuals still do experience some degree of drowsiness), where meclizine is the active ingredient. If you can't find it, Bonine, Dizmiss, Meni-D & Vergon are other OTC products containing meclizine.

If you absolutely must have dimenhydrinate, APO-Dimenhydrinate, Calm-X, Dimetabs & TripTone are other OTC products that have it in their formulation. These products may be ordered online at such sites as ---->

AdvCare http://secure.adv-care.com/cgi-bin/...y=50++WITH+MINERALS&Description=Yes&x=52&y=10

Before you do anything, however, I suggest that you read the following from a search of our board archives (scroll to last post in thread)--->

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33186&highlight=dramamine

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Have a great time in Sulawesi.

DocVikingo

Hello Doc,

Thank you for the reply, in fact I had already read the post you're referring to previously. Unfortunately, I react violently to meclozine, cinnarizine and cyclizine, leaving me with little choice other than dimenhydrate (unless I am willing to take my chances with no meds - and probably having to stop boat diving alltogether - or "natural" stuff like ginger, which I definitely will try this time.
However, I have taken Dramamine on practically every boat trip I have ever undertaken and never experienced any negative effect, drowsiness, decreased alertness etc. I am aware that any medication may have side effects, and that these may differ from one "patient" to the other, but as this appears to be the only way for me to continue enjoying boat dives, I'm afraid this is the only solution.

Thanks again for the info!

Sorry munkispank, forgot to thank you for your very kind offer, I would be very grateful for any help you could give me but I'm not sure what you mean by "PM me your adress.." ???

Thx!

Twospook once bubbled...
Sorry munkispank, forgot to thank you for your very kind offer, I would be very grateful for any help you could give me but I'm not sure what you mean by "PM me your adress.." ???

Thx!

PM is a Private Message, kind of like internal email for ScubaBoard users.

If you look up to munkispank's message, you will see a button marked -MSG- at the bottom, next to profile.

Click on this and you can send a private message, useful for things like swapping email addresses or anything that doesn't warrant a public reply.

HTH

Dom
:scuba:

thanks dlegros- you got there before me!!!

Twospook, just message you details and I will mail some out to you, in case you cannot find any other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom