Scopolamine interactions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobber

Registered
Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding interactions of scopolamine. I rec'd an rx and tried it on a recent small-boat trip, and it worked great. However, I have a liveaboard trip coming up, and wanted to know about taking scop with dramamine and meclizine, to "double up" the resistance to ensure my trip is as fun as I'm told it will be. Any problems other than the summative side effects?

Question 2: I for some reason can NEVER sleep on a moving vehicle (car, airplane, etc), no matter how tired I am. I'm dreading that I won't be able to sleep at night on the boat, but I have some phenergan left over from when I had to make a bunch of trips for work (prone to car sickness as well--worked miracles). What about taking one phenergan to help me sleep at night--would that interact with the scop?

I'm NKDA and have had no negative reactions to any of the drugs mentioned. Thanks in advance for any help!

Such "doubling (or tripling) up" is an unwise idea, particularly within the context of a very incomplete understanding of these medications.

For example, you inquire about, "taking scop with dramamine and meclizine." Original formula Dramamine contains dimenhydrinate, a compound shown by research to adversely effect alertness & performance both topside and under increased atmospheres of pressure. As such, it's not recommended while diving. A newer version, Dramamine II (advertised as a "less drowsy" formula. As this implies, be aware that some individuals still do experience some degree of drowsiness) has meclizine as the active ingredient. Therefore, it would make no apparent sense to take both this latter medication "and meclizine" in some other form.

Even just using scopolamine & meclizine likely is not wise. And the problem exactly is "the summative side effects," which is in fact is a drug interaction.

As for Phenergan, this drug has very pronounced sedative effects, and mixing it with others that also can cause drowsiness seems less than prudent.

When one has a history of good benefit from scopolamine during a small-boat day trip, there is no reason to suspect that it will not be effective on a liveaboard.

Rather than over-drugging oneself, it might be useful to add behavioral measures to combat mal de mer & insomnia, such as:

1. Avoiding fatigue and getting adequate rest.

2. Eating modestly, avoiding greasy, fatty, acidic and spicy foods. Don't skip breakfast, but stick to bland foods like toast, rolls and cereal. Go easy on tea and coffee, and very, very easy on alcoholic beverages.

3. When on the boat, don't get overheated--stay under a sunshade, don't put on your protective suit until necessary, and get in the water as soon as possible.

4. Search out a spot low and in the center where motion is minimized, face forward, focus your eyes on a fixed object on the horizon or elsewhere, avoid unnecessary neck movements and stay out of exhaust fumes.

5. Do not go below, read anything or look through binoculars. If you must vomit, do so freely, but not anywhere on the boat, and especially not in the marine toilet.

Or gentler, "natural" remedies" such as:

1. Ginger, which can be taken in powdered, crystallized or root form (recommended preparations), or as ginger snaps, ginger ale, or tea. Just make sure they contain actual ginger and not just artificial flavoring. As heartburn with the use of ginger has been reported, also pack an antacid.

2. Wrist straps, such as 'Sea Bands,' usually wooden or plastic balls on elastic bands which are placed so as to exert pressure on an acupressure point on the inside of the wrist.

3. Aromatherapy using a combination of mandarin, peppermint, spearmint and lavender oil.

For sleep:

1. Get a cabin away from the salon & engine noise.

2. Wear a blackout mask.

3. Wear comfortable ear plugs.

4. A spot of caffeine-free tea containing chamomile before bed. (Some blends also contain ingredients like lavender, passion flowers, kava kava root & hops, and this is fine).

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom