Help! Mild Asthmatics Travel and Dive Regimen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdesola

Registered
Reaction score
I have mild asthma. I was released by my Dr. to get certified, and in 6 dives I have done, all in Hawaii, I have been fine. Like many asthmatics, I also am predisposed to being congested when exposed to allergens. This tendency is most bothersome when I fly as I seem to pick-up colds fairly readily following a flight--viri have an easier time infecting a congested person.

To my great dismay, this was the case when I went to Hawaii earlier in the year with hopes of becoming certified. I picked up something before we arrived. The day before I had class, I thought there was no way I would be clear enough to dive. Perhaps it was pure adrenalin, but I decided to make an appearance for the pre-water segment and see how I felt. Miraculously I felt much better and was able to make my first dive, although I had to make a slow descent to equalize. The following days were fine. My symptoms relaxed and I earned my certification. I also realized that this was something I'd want to do more of.

In November my wife and I are going to St. Croix to dive over a long weekend. I am concerned about picking up something on the plane and not feeling well enough to dive. Since my condition seems relatively common among others with allergies and mild asthma, I'm wondering if other divers who share my condition have developed strategies for preparing for dives and even for travel. If so, what do you do that you think has helped you? Have there been days that you elected to dive and later regretted it? Are there medications that you've found helpful?

This sport is something I have really fallen in love with. I am eager to do as much of it as I can. My condition is an annoyance that I know I need to monitor carefully. So far my research has reinforced my hope and belief that people with mild asthma can and do dive without significantly greater rates of injury or incident than the general dive community.

Thanks for your input.

-David

Talk to your doctor. It is true that some asthmatic also get allergic rhinnitis when exposed to certain allergen. Many of these people will benefit from using anti histamine such as Zyrtec, Claritin or Allegra type of medication or nasal steroid spray when symptom is significant enough. The best person who can determine this is probably your own doctor who knows your history of asthma well.

A few thoughts:

- Are you currently medicated for allergies? If not, I would take the advice below (I take Allegra). If so, make sure you are taking your meds and time them to maximize your "protection" while on the plane.

- Stay WELL hydrated and rested during the trip, particularly while on the plane. The dry air on plane rides dries you out considerably especially on long trips.

My Dr's advice to me for any travel involving planes:

1) Take Advair 2x daily starting a few weeks ahead of travel and throughout trip and at least a week after.
2) Take Flonase 2x daily a few weeks ahead of travel and trhough trip and at least a week after.
3) Take Allegra 1x daily.
4) Just before takeoff, take two sprays of Afrin.
5) Just before landing, take two sprays of Afrin.
6) Particular to diving, Prior to a dive take albuterol for extra precaution.

This regimen has worked very well on some trips, but as I mentioned earlier re Hawaii, I got caught with a bug there and ended up needing two courses of antbiotics, one there (I was fortunate to have one on hand) and one soon after I got back becasue I had a relapse a week or so after returning.

Advice to stay hydrated seems quite sensible. I'm also seriously considering putting a mask on while on the plane. I'm dismayed that they do not do more to filter and clean the recirculating air. I don't know how common it is to come down with a cold after flying, but I'd say the odds for me are about 1 in 4. Because of my frequent flyer program, this pertains mainly to American. I don't know if any other carriers do a better job with respect to air quality.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Please consider the alternatives. There are many others things in life to do besides diving. Medication that assists you for diving is not full proof. Any air restricting malady has the potential of fatal porportions.

Diving is wonderful. I would miss it if I had to stop. But, then again, my new born grandchild would probably miss me too if I continued to dive with an increased chance to not return.

If your physcian is not a diver may I suggest you consult with DAN for a referral.

Thank you very much for your concern. Believe me, I have and am continuiing to researched this, and I am prepared to take every reasonable precaution, and to stay out of the water when need be. I have a son, and I would not like to leave him alone in this world!

The purpose of my post is to help me be as prepared as possible for potential problems. Typically, I am very healthy and seldom have symptoms. My dives so far have been great, and I have come out of the water feeling better than I did going in. Given that asthma dn sinus issues are a part of my history, though, I am learning as much as I can about how to protect myself.

Again, thanks for your concern!

-David

Enuff said!

Well, I think you take just about all precaution, as far as medication is concerned. All that is left is probably just to maintain your general health, avoid things that may depress your immune system such as stress, cold exposure, inadequate rest etc and keep well hydrated, plenty of rest, keep warm, that sort of thing. Some people may take vitamin C or zinc but there is no real proof that it helps to prevent cold.

However, if you are still congested after taking all the medications that you mention, I would be worry though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom