Nitrous Oxide & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is OK to dive after going to the dentist and getting nitrous oxide (N2O).

I found on the web that you shouldn't get nitrous oxide after diving within 24 hours.

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u05/u05_009.htm

I also realize you can not believe everything you read on the internet :wacko: but I found it strange no one has asked the question before (using my poor search abilities)

I had some teeth work done last friday and wanted to go diving after, but I played it safe and cleaned the house instead... :sawthat:

As you note, the warning in that URL is that nitrous oxide (N20) should not be given to a patient who has been scuba diving within the previous 24 hours due to the potential for decompression sickness. It does not address diving after receiving N20.

N20 is poorly soluble in blood, is almost entirely expelled by the lungs in pretty much the same condition as it was inhaled & has a very short duration of action. As such, any lingering effects from the dental procedure itself probably are of more risk to safe scuba than the administration of N20 per se.

I am bringing this issue to the attention of our diving dentist, Dr. Larry Stein, and he may have something to add.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

icediver_al,

I am not aware of any requirement to avoid scuba diving following nitrous oxide administration.

I agree with DocVikingo in that N2O is very quickly offgased once the adminstration is suspended.

I am aware that some patient will feel "different" or more relaxed following nitrous oxide and this may last for several hours...I don't know why. Other patients can experience nausea on rare occasion...It has happened to me and I didn't feel quite right for a few hours.

Whether this is related to retained gas, I don't know...although I don't think so.

Here is a case where perhaps it would be wise to wait until you feel ok.

I'll ask around.

Laurence Stein, DDS

:doctor:

Nitrous oxide will cause an increase in size of any air-containing compartments in the body - and this includes nitrogen bubbles. It would be risky to use it after diving or after a diving injury.

Nitrous oxide before diving would offer the risk of decreased alertness and ability to multitask for an indeterminate period of time, probably depending on the individual. As stated by docVikingo and toothdoc, it is rapidly excreted and doesn't hang around very long.

A product which I have been asked about many times is 'Entonox' - nitrous oxide and O2 fifty- fifty. This would do the same thing and has been found to be quite dangerous in situations where there is trapped air (such as the gut) and in bent divers.

See our web page with references at http://www.scuba-doc.com/entonox.html .

Dear icediver:

Nitrous and Rats

Nitrous oxide is a gas that diffuses very rapidly, and was used in research in DCS in the 1970s to “amplify” gas bubbles. The idea here was to detect the so-called “silent bubbles” by taking rats that were decompressed but not demonstrating evidence of DCS. When nitrous oxide was administered, the signs of DCS appeared (gait disturbance). The idea was that “silent bubbles” were growing and these produced signs of decompression sickness..

It can happen in the laboratory, and the references above indicate that it can occur in humans also.

Dr Deco

On vacation this week :mean:

Hi Dr Deco,

Could you clarify your response? Was the Nitrous administered to the rats BEFORE or AFTER hyperbaric exposure?

If it was after, then it really doesn't answer the question: Does prior nitrous oxide exposure present a risk if the administration preceeed any scuba diving?

Have a great vacation.

Larry Stein

The nitrous was given after the dive.

Dr Deco

On vacation this week :mean:

Hej

I have a question. My boyfriend went diving last december. He did 4 dives in two days, with a dive of 9 meters for 35 min and one of 16 meters and 45 min on the last day. 30 hours later he was partying and thought it might be a good idea to inhale these party laughing gas baloons.
He probably didnt realize these things contain nitrous oxide and can be potentially dangerous.
He says he didnt feel anything strange afterwards. But i worry a bit and wonder if this could have had some negative health effects, short and long term.
Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if it is OK to dive after going to the dentist and getting nitrous oxide (N2O).

I found on the web that you shouldn't get nitrous oxide after diving within 24 hours.

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u05/u05_009.htm

I also realize you can not believe everything you read on the internet :wacko: but I found it strange no one has asked the question before (using my poor search abilities)

I had some teeth work done last friday and wanted to go diving after, but I played it safe and cleaned the house instead... :sawthat:

But i worry a bit and wonder if this could have had some negative health effects, short and long term. Can you help me out? Thanks in advance

Hi Aaf,

The single incident you describe was extremely unlikely to have resulted in any adverse short or long-term health effects.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom