Ear Pain/Problems After First Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chazell29

New
Reaction score
# of dives
This is my first post; I looked through the forum and I couldn't find a specific area for injuries. I'm signed up to do my Open Water Certification, and I did an introduction to Scuba through PADI on Saturday.

We only went down to 10 feet in the pool, but I had trouble equalizing my ears on decent. I had some pain but I was able to clear it by ascending and equalizing. Today is three days later, and I have slight, random pain in my right ear and my hearing is muffled with a slight loss of hearing. I looked on DAN and my symptoms seem to describe Barotitis media. I went to my doctor this morning to have it checked out however he's out of town and I can't get in to see anyone for a couple of days. I have HMO insurance so I can't go to another doctor, unless I go to the ER. The ER is $100 per visit for me, so I was curious if this is something serious, where time is of the essence and I need to get it looked at, or if it can wait a few days. I really don't want to spend the $100 if I don't have to.

Thanks for the input and I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

This sounds like classic and fairly mild barotrauma. In the absence of significant hearing loss, drainage from the ear, or vertigo, it is reasonable to take a "wait and see" approach to this problem. OTC decongestants like Sudafed (if you have no contraindication to it) and NSAIDs like ibuprofen (same caveat) can theoretically be helpful in resolving the problem.

Difficulties with equalization are common. Most are due to improper technique, but some people have either underlying allergies or problems like chronic sinusitis that impede clearing, or the rare anatomical abnormality that makes things difficult. Most can be overcome by proper technique.

I'm quite sure folks are going to come behind me and post links to an excellent video on ear problems, as well as a variety of websites on equalization. I just came off a long night shift, and I apologize that I am too sleepy to look them all up :)

I'm quite sure folks are going to come behind me and post links to an excellent video on ear problems, as well as a variety of websites on equalization. I just came off a long night shift, and I apologize that I am too sleepy to look them all up :)

Sleep well.

The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure
Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

Sleep well ; )

Regards,

Doc

@Chazell29: Your HMO doesn't allow you to schedule an appointment with another in-plan physician to check out your ear?
Going to the ER for this issue is a recipe for you sitting in the waiting room for a looong time (since your case is non-emergent).

For future reference, in case you want to avoid middle ear barotrauma...
Let's just say that there are several different ear equalization techniques. Click the Dr. Kay link in my sig for more info about this or use DocVikingo's link.
You should try all of the techniques mentioned on Dr. Kay's website and figure out what works best for you.
During initial descent, descend slowly (via proper buoyancy control or hand-walking down an anchor/buoyline) and equalize your ears frequently, i.e., every couple of feet. Don't wait to feel pressure in your ears. In fact, it might help to pre-pressurize (with a Valsalva maneuver) even before you descend. If you feel any pain or pressure, stop your descent, ascend slightly, and try equalizing again before resuming your descent.

Hope this helps...

Not that I know of, the receptionist just asked me if I'd like to make an appointment when he gets back in two days. And thank you for the link, I'll check it out and watch that video!

After a DSD dive many people face a minor ear problem such as yours. The cause is primarily for ascending and descending too often, or fast. Improper equalization, or an existent problem in the ear. The problem can last up to a week based on different divers. If the condition did not get any worse than it is, wait for your doctor, If it gets worse go to the ER.

Don't take this as a reason not to dive again. It the first time and practice makes perfect. Next time! for your info.
  • Descend slower allow your system to adjust
  • Equalize every half a meter or a meter if problem to equalize ascend slow in half meter intervals and try again in half meter intervals.
  • Dive at a constant depth avoid ups and down dive types. stay at a depth to avoid this experience again.

The often you dive the less you'll experience these inconvenience in diving. If you enjoy diving take a course and you'll learn so much that the knowledge will eliminate 95 percent of these issues. Try a DSD again ask questions have fun and enjoy.

Keep diving and enjoy!!!

After a DSD dive many people face a minor ear problem such as yours. The cause is primarily for ascending and descending too often, or fast. Improper equalization, or an existent problem in the ear. The problem can last up to a week based on different divers. If the condition did not get any worse than it is, wait for your doctor, If it gets worse go to the ER.

Don't take this as a reason not to dive again. It the first time and practice makes perfect. Next time! for your info.
  • Equalize every half a meter or a meter if problem to equalize ascend slow in half meter intervals and try again in half meter intervals.
  • Dive at a constant depth avoid ups and down dive types. stay at a depth to avoid this experience again.

The often you dive the less you'll experience these inconvenience in diving. If you enjoy diving take a course and you'll learn so much that the knowledge will eliminate 95 percent of these issues. Try a DSD again ask questions have fun and enjoy.

Keep diving and enjoy!!!

Thanks! I'm already signed up for my Open Water Certification, but I had to schedule it about 3 weeks in advance because the school is booked. So I did the Discover Scuba Diving class just in the meantime to get a feel for it.

For new divers, here's a thought which may give you a better idea about just how often you should be equalizing:
When they ride an elevator, most people will feel like equalizing if they go up or down 50 floors. This pressure change is approximately equal to 8"/20 cm of water. The greater the pressure backlog in your ears, the more difficult equalizing becomes. It may be difficult or impractical to equalize every few inches, but this should tell you that waiting more than a couple of feet greatly increases the chances of trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom