Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Scopace discontinued - WTF?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Scopace discontinued - WTF?

I called two pharmacies, today, and got the same, sad, news from both that scopace has been discontinued. That's horrible for me. The only thing worse would be if scopolamine patches were discontinued as well. Does anyone know why this happened?
    Wade

Registered

With onset of winter, now
    hankering for a sub aquatic
    environment.

Dives
    0 - 24
    From another forum, after a quick google search: According to Craig Sherman, MD, who is the Medical Director at Hope Pharmaceutical, it has been discontinued due to a disruption in their supply. If you're concerned about it and want to encourage them to begin the process of replacing it, you should e-mail him at the company: According to Craig Sherman, MD, who is the Medical Director at Hope Pharmaceutical, it has been discontinued due to a disruption in their supply. If you're concerned about it and want to encourage them to begin the process of replacing it, you should e-mail him at the company:

Registered

environment.

Dives
    0 - 24
    On another note, have you tried dosing yourself with ginger in some form (candied seems least harsh)? Ginger's an ancient herbal remedy for nausea.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I am not sure what supply got disrupted because Scopolamine is available from several sources (mostly China). I don't remember the name of the company that came up with the patch, but they also make the smokers patch and Johnson & Johnson bought them several years back for around $10 billion. Hope is a tiny private company that lists just one product on its website. The pills were cheap whereas the patch is expensive. Without the competition of Scopace, Johnson & Johnson will sell more of the expensive patches. I think the loss of Scopace is just an issue of profitability and large company versus small.

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    If I were in your situation (need Scopace and not able to obtain it in the U.S. due to supply issues), I would consider ordering the medication online from a reputable pharmacy in another country. For example, I know of some U.S. citizens who mail order prescription medications from Canada. I believe such orders are reviewed by a Canadian physician and the U.S. prescription may have to be "rewritten" by a Canadian physician to be in compliance with Canadian law.

Pay attention to shipping charges as this may significantly influence cost/pill, particularly for smaller orders.

Good luck...
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Registered

environment.

Dives
    0 - 24
    Having spent 6 years working in a pharmacy - sometimes, a med is dropped just because it simply isn't profitable enough to keep on the company's manufacturing list. I know a lot more patches move than pills, so it probably wasn't something worth doing, from their perspective.

Tech Instructor
    Go Red - Support SB!

PADI/SSI/BSAC/ANDI/TecRec
    Tec/Advanced Sidemount,Trimix,
    Technical Wreck Instructor

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Moderator's Comments:
    Moved to Diving Medicine.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Thanks, all. I saw in another thread that Kwells, an over-the-counter medicine in Australia, has the same active ingredient as Scopace. A single pill seems to be 3/4 of the standard dosage of Scopace. I haven't ordered any but others on this board have. Hopefully, this works out to be a reasonable way to solve this problem.

+Kourtjestr, ginger works great on nasea but, unfortunately for me, not at all on dizziness. Thanks for the thought, though!
    Wade

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
    Thanks, all. I saw in another thread that Kwells, an over-the-counter medicine in Australia, has the same active ingredient as Scopace.
    Hi Code Monkey,

Yes. See post 12 in the following thread dated 08/18/09--> Ginger pills for motion sickness

"Kwells" (Bayer Healthcare) is available OTC and online in OZ (ePharmacy - Kwells Travel Sickness Tablets 10), but some other countries require a prescription, e.g., the UK.

That particular product is not marketed in the USA and medical hyoscine hydrobromide requires a prescription here.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    So, DocVikingo,

In the other thread, you responded to the statement that "these pills [I assume Scopace and Kwells]
    do roughly the same job." is "arguably is incorrect". What did you mean by that? My (limited) understanding is that they were chemically the same except for dosage.
    Wade

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast