Slight Bloodish Nasal Discharge After A Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrifterEd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two Months Ago I Contraced An Unknown Allergy (s/e Florida) I Am Being Treated By An Ent Who Prescribed Antibotics And A Nasal Spray "flonase" An Synthetic Corticosteroid Which I Spray Twice In Each Nostral TWICE Daily. Recently Upon Asending Nearing 15 Safety Stop I Experience Slight Nasal Discharge. After Dive I Blow My Nose(on Deck) I Observe A Browinsh/slightly Bloody Discharge. After Blowing And Clearing Everything Is Ok Without Any Discomfort Or Any Other Symptoms. Any Comments Would Be Appreciated."thanks"

Drifter,

I think reactions to Flonase are common. I have used it twice with intense headaches both times. My boyfriend had a prescription for it and it caused a bloody nose for him right after he used it. These reactions happened on the surface and were not pressure related.

In my experience as a dive instructor, I have had numerous students with a blood discharge from their nose after diving. It almost always goes away quickly.

I would contact your doctor about the Flonase and see if she/he thinks it is safe or can offer an alternative.

-Brady

Or your congestion could have caused a sinus squeeze.

Did you dive much before taking this stuff? I get the bloody nose thing without meds, it might be a reaction, squeeze, or maybe you are just one of those unlucky sorts, like me, who has to clear their mask before getting into the boat - to prevent the usual questions.

bradymsu:
Drifter,

I think reactions to Flonase are common. I have used it twice with intense headaches both times. My boyfriend had a prescription for it and it caused a bloody nose for him right after he used it. These reactions happened on the surface and were not pressure related.

In my experience as a dive instructor, I have had numerous students with a blood discharge from their nose after diving. It almost always goes away quickly.

I would contact your doctor about the Flonase and see if she/he thinks it is safe or can offer an alternative.

-Brady[/QUote...THANKS FOR THE REPLY.IT'S COMFORTING TO KNOW IT'S COMMON AND NOT SERIOUS.I'LL CHECK WITH MY DOCTOR ALSO.THANKS AGAIN...

MikeFerrara:
Or your congestion could have caused a sinus squeeze.

I would say this is the most likely cause of the problem. Its far from uncommon.

WW

I was on a nasal allergy inhaler a lot when I was a kid. I don't remember the brands. The first one I was on was _really_ harsh, and gave me bloody noses to the point that I was called into a parent teacher conference in 7th grade with suspicions of cocaine use.

It's quite likely that the pressure created before you equalize your mask is enough to pop some of the vessels in a weakened nasal wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom