What doctor do I see? Labyrinthitis 20 years ago, want to start diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barefeet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My apologies for the length. I wanted to provide as much information as possible to help you answer my question.

Me: 38-year-old female. Registered for a Open Water Diver course this spring.

Today, I am very fit. I do Crossfit 3-4/week and run 2-3x/week. I eat paleo (meat, vegetables, limited fruit, healthy fats). No highly processed food, grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol.

My concern: When I was 18, I suffered from a severe form of what I now know is labyrinthitis (or so I was told by an ENT, 10 years after the onset of the problem). I finally noticed the pattern of three days of lying in bed, the world spinning (vertigo due to severe nystagmus), puking until only bile came up, occurred right after every episode of binge drinking. I went off alcohol completely, eliminated salt from my diet, and learned to let go of stress. Even so, it took three full years for the serious attacks to disappear (OK, I was not as strict as I should have been. I went drinking with friends on rare, special occasions and paid for it afterwards). The ENT who diagnosed me retroactively at 28 or so told me that alcohol is ototoxic and I basically fried my inner ear on one side.

The time between attacks lengthened, and the severity of the vertigo decreased significantly, over the years. The tinnitus disappeared within two years or so. By the time I was 25, I would have day-long bouts of severe dizziness (but no vomiting) perhaps two or three times a year. I don't remember any severe attacks requiring me to lie on the floor in a darkened room for days on end after the age of 30 or so meaning at least eight attack-free years.

HOWEVER:
--I grew up throwing up whenever I tried to read a book while riding in a car, or whenever riding in the backseat when riding in a car going over winding, curvy roads. Mountain roads? Forget it. That's still a problem today.

--Flight landings are really hard on me. I have to do the Valsalva maneuver every ten seconds during descent, until I make myself lightheaded/dizzy. Then I'm tired and cranky after the landing.

--The two times I've been on open water in the past 20 years, I suffered BIG time from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (Mal de Debarquement Syndrome) afterwards. I couldn't walk in a straight line for a week after I took a cruise at age 21, and after a simple hour-long kayak ride, followed by maybe an hour or two of white-water rafting on the Colorado River in Utah in May 2009, I couldn't walk, period. The ground kept rolling underneath me for a full day and a half. I couldn't even raise my head without completely losing my bearings and falling to my right side (the side where the ear damage is).

Now, I've read everything on these forums I could find about labyrinthitis and scuba diving. What I've seen can be summarized as: Everyone is different.

I certainly don't want to be 40 feet down in the water when a vertigo attack occurs because of the change in pressure. I want to check with a doctor before my open water course to see what the risks specific to me might be.

So. Do I see an ENT through my HMO, which will cost me a $30 copay ($20 extra if my primary care physician won't give me a referral without making me see her first) or do I try to find someone ostensibly more knowledgeable through DAN's physician referral network, and pay through the nose (I'm not rich!) because my insurance will never cover it?

I'm not sure my situation requires specialized knowledge but then again I'm not sure "any" ENT has a good enough understanding of the risks of scuba diving to give me a knowledgeable answer without using scare tactics to cover himself or herself.

Help!

I'll have to admit I just cut to the chase and got to your ENT issues, history doesn't really matter for me to give you an answer. An ENT doctor would be able to fully evaluate you. One who specializes in Dive Medicine is who you need to see. If you are serious about diving, don't worry about your co-pay. I had severe ear squeeze when I was a new diver, an ENT Dive Medicine doc saved my hearing and got me back in the water after I was healed nine months later.

Call DAN (Divers Alert Network) 800-446-2671 explain your situation and they will help you find the right doctor in your area. The doctor I saw accepted my insurance. He had a private practice as most do. You do not need to be a member to call them but they are a great organization providing lots of services for divers. If you do get certified join DAN.

I had severe ear squeeze when I was a new diver, an ENT Dive Medicine doc saved my hearing and got me back in the water after I was healed nine months later.

Bratface, thank you for helping! I should add that I was born profoundly deaf. It's genetic. Losing my hearing isn't a concern. Does that change your answer?

Hi barefeet,

First of all, I definitely concur with Bratface above in that you need to see an ENT physician who's familiar with diving before you even think of submerging yourself. If you have that much difficulty equalizing your ears on an airplane, then it's likely you will have even more problems trying to descend in the water since the pressure change is so much more pronounced. This will greatly increase your risk risk of ear barotrauma. Most salient here is inner ear barotrauma, which could potentially leave you with permanent vertigo, especially if the labyrinthitis caused lasting damage to your semicircular canals.

Also of concern is your tendency toward motion sickness. You know how it affects you better than anyone; what would happen if the dive boat you were on encountered unexpectedly rough seas?

DAN may have a recommendation for an ENT doc. If they don't know of anyone in your area, PM me your location and I'll try to track someone down when the hyperbaric clinics open back up on Monday.

Best regards,
DDM

OK, I wasn't concerned about hearing loss but I don't want to risk permanent vertigo! I'll definitely contact DAN for an ENT referral. I'm located in Washington DC and hope there'll be someone around here.

Thanks, Duke Dive Medicine and Bratface!

I concur with the advice already given, but wanted to offer a little personal tidbit. I suffer from fairly marked mal d'embarquement as well -- not as severe as yours, but quite prolonged. I had a lot of trouble with vertigo when I started diving, especially when in midwater and bereft of visual reference (which is not an uncommon situation in Puget Sound, during ascents and descents). Vertigo is very perturbing in the water, but can be managed, especially if you know what it is (which I didn't, at the beginning). Over the years, I've learned a whole bunch of coping strategies for vertigo while diving, and as a result, it occurs far more rarely, and is generally never as bad as it was at first.

One more thing-

The ENT who told me I had permanent otic damage diagnosed it after performing a caloric reflex test (or vestibular caloric test). She squirted wither cold or warm water (or maybe both, in turn-this was 10 years ago) into my right ear using a syringe. I had absolutely no reaction at all.

Then she did the same on my left side. That left me absolutely flat for an hour. It triggered one of the most severe episodes of vertigo I've ever had. I couldn't believe how dizzy I was.

The doc told me the reaction on the left side was what was supposed to happen. Since there was no reaction at all when the test was performed on my right side, that was where the damage is.

This test was done 10 years after the original problem came up, and the doc said the damage was permanent.

Have any of you had similar results indicating damage using that caloric reflex test and been cleared for diving?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom