Cold Water Diving and Weight Loss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in the waters of Lake Ontario or the St
# of dives
200 - 499
I was chatting with my freediving buddy the other day and commented at the 18 lbs of body weight I've lost this year. He told me that is to be expected since the water I've been diving in has been consistently below 40°F and more recently, around the 32 - 36°F mark. He says a study was done using a 175 lb subject and that person's body burned as much as 1200 calories an hour.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

FreeFloat:
I was chatting with my freediving buddy the other day and commented at the 18 lbs of body weight I've lost this year. He told me that is to be expected since the water I've been diving in has been consistently below 40°F and more recently, around the 32 - 36°F mark. He says a study was done using a 175 lb subject and that person's body burned as much as 1200 calories an hour.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I gotta try that!!

thanks, don

I used to work for a ski resort, on swing shift. I had to stand outside for 10 hour shifts, and even though I was dressed to stay warm as can be, I never had any problem keeping the weight off, as my body burned alot of calories just to keep me warm. I would assume that the calories burned would be greater in water, then on land seeing as the body losses heat so much faster in water.

I was thinking it sure made sense. I can't see any other reason for me to drop 18 lbs in about 5 months without even trying. (like I haven't been deliberately cutting back on my food supply, etc)

I was a bit worried too, as I'm down to 114 lbs now (maybe a little more than that fully geared up...) and I wasn't very big to start with.......

I could be a SMB for someone... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom