Deviated Septum Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hop Devil

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with diving after the above procedure. I would be interested in learning how it went, recovery time, return to diving timetable and if it really improved anything. Recurrent sinus infections and blocked ears have resulted in Surgery being recommended. I can still dive withouth to much difficulty and don't want to make anyting worse than it is now. I would appreciate any info anyone would like to share!
Hop Devil

Had a Septoplasty last year to correct deviated septum (which I didn't know I had !!), together with polypectomy (removal of sinus polpyps) which were causing recurring sinus infections. And general opening out of sinusses.

For me post surgery recovery was 6 weeks out of the water, no problems since. But check with your ENT surgeon for your timescale. To aid recovery and congestion use plenty of steam inhalations - a bowl of steaming water lean over it with a towel over your head and breathe gently at first through your nose. - gets 'messy'.

Best of luck

Many divers get very good results from such a procedure.

Return to scuba depends on factors like exactly what was done, the complication picture, and the levels of diving medicine knowledge & conservatism of the physician providing clearance. Given an uneventful surgery & recovery, the recommendation will likely be 3-8 weeks.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Not sure of the proper terms, but I've had sinus surgery twice.

First time they did the left side and septum. They straightened the septum, removed polyps and cut large windows into all of my sinuses. The left side is one big cavity now, There is absolutely no problem with qualization on that side. Surgery was done to address severely and chronically infected sinuses. Dr lied when he said there would be "some discomfort" as it was a week of hell followed by decreaseng annoyance. Most probably this was due to the splint on my septum having the resonant frequeny of my voice. Every time I tried to speak my nose "buzzed", which forcibly reminded me to STHU! Recovery was nasty for 2 weeks until the splint was removed.

Second time was the right side for the window treatment. I now have 3 sinuses on the right. Access to frontal and maxillary is restricted by a nerve placement or I'd have just one over there too. Recovery was much less painful and I was back in the water after about 6 weeks.

The third time is still in negotiation to see if my current ENT can do something with the frontal and maxillary. The current infection in them has been going for about 6 months so I have him trying to find an alternate to the antibiotic dance. I even sugested going in from the front to miss the nerves and filling those spaces with bone harvested from my hip or pelvis! The shudder he did at that suggestion was priceless.

FT

Been there, done that, twice.
First time under a local anestic in 1983- big mistake. Diviated septum, clogges sinus etc. I really did not feel anything, but the sounds and my head rocking back and fourth as the hammer hit the chisle. Most painful part was the removal of the packing. OUCH!!!!

Second time iin 2003. This time I got a general anistesia. Woke up and it was done. Doctor did not have kind words for the job the Army doctor did the first time. Next day they removed the packing. New teflone stuff, no pain. A couple of weeks later the splint came out. Six weeks later and diving again.

It is my experience that it helps cut down on the sinus infections. I rarely get them now. I would say go for it.

Had deviated septum and polyps taken care of all at once. One polyp was about the size of an olive! Was told to stay out of the water for about 8 weeks, but actually stayed out longer for non-related reasons. Left nasal passage was so small due to deviation of septum that Dr. had to us pediatric tools.

I have a Dr. who is top of the line on this stuff, and is on DAN list of ENTs who know about dive medicine (NYC area). His techniques require no packing post surgery, and can be done under general or local anesthesia. The most painful part of the process has been the post-op debridement, which basically is the sucking out of the nasal cavity and removal of any scar tissue. Depending on your Dr. and conditions you might only get one or two of these followups, or several.

Another byproduct of the surgery is that my snoring has now been significantly reduced...almost eliminated, so no more bruised ribs from my wife hitting me in the middle of the night!!

Now daily routine includes use of neti-pot to keep sinus areas clean. If you are not familiar with this check out the video here:

http://www.nutraceutic.com/Products/Yoga/Neti/RhinoHorn/Video/Yogaskolen_T1.wmv

The problem with sinus surgery is that, as mentioned earlier, it is not always done properly the first time. I have found that equalization during flying and diving is much better, and other symptoms are pretty much going away. Relief of symptoms may be immediate or take several months, but I think the stats indicate about 80% of people who have the surgery have noted at least a fair degree of relief. YMMV

Scubamax

Back
Top Bottom