Decompression chamber treatment cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is about time to renew my DAN Dive accident insurance and after looking at the plans I wondered if someone could give me a ballpark figure of what it would cost for treatment follows incurring DCS. I am sure it depends on severity but maybe an average of how much per hour and how many hours are the norm, if there is such a thing. I am currently covered at the Master level but was eyeballing Preferred which provides a much higher benefit.
Thanks!

First hospital bill was $1400, they didn't do diving accidents so they IFT'd me via chopper to the tune of $34,000. Receiving hospital charged $3700 just for the chamber ride and around $7500 total.

It's worth the little extra you pay.

i know someone whos DAN expired by 2 months he had an issue 12 trips in the chamber +flight = $45k
he wont ever let that laps again

I wondered if someone could give me a ballpark figure of what it would cost for treatment follows incurring DCS.

Depends on a number of factors, including where you are geographically, the chamber you go to (e.g., free-standing or private v in a hospital), cost of any supplementary/adjunctive services required, how many hours/what Table(s) is used, etc. I'd guess that the average cost per hour for a chamber ride starts at ~$850 (and can be much more). The standard U.S. Navy Treatment Table 6, the customary starting protocol for uncomplicated DCI, typically takes 4.75 hrs, so you can do the math.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Even if we pay $100/year for 30 years, it would not cover the costs for evac, medical treatment and the chamber. Like all insurance we are hoping to never use it, however, there is a distinct advantage to having it.
RichH

i totally AGREE with Aquablanco1
its the insurance you pay peanuts for YOU NEVER want to use or be without esp if you were on a nice remote holiday island!
unless you have your own private jet a nurse crew etc!

It's important to note that for Preferred you get $250k per. Master is only a single $125k lifetime.

The question sounds more to me that the poster is planning on buying insurance, but is wondering about the level. It seems to me, based on the costs being quoted, the first level would barely cover a DCS treatment... I think I'm going middle level for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom