Diving with Laryngeal Spasm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thommo999

New
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Divers,

I am a newish PADI Open Water diver with about 12 dives to my name and was after a bit of advice from you seasoned pros!

Every now and then and for no particular reason I get what is called a laryngeal spasm which means that my throat closes up and I cant breathe for up to 30 seconds or so. Its obviously not nice but I can always control it - albeit with probably another half hour or so of discomfort and coughing while my throat calms down again. Not really had much luck at the doctors getting the cause identified...

Its happened a couple of times in the last few months so doesnt happen often but I am going to the Maldives next month and am feeling quite nervous about diving in case it happens when I am underwater! Id really like to dive but am feeling a bit nervous understandably i guess!

What would you do in my situation? Help!

Kind Regards,

Tim

I experienced it once while taking my cave training ... in my case the cause was an inadvertent inhalation of water due to not properly purging my reg after having it out of my mouth. It's a very unpleasant experience, and always keep in mind when it happens that the best way of dealing with it is to remain calm and try to relax. As for potential causes, please make sure you're not inadvertently breathing in a bit of water when you inhale ... that would tend to trigger the spasm. You might not even realize you're doing that unless you pay attention to it ... and some regulators will breathe "wet" if you tilt them in certain directions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every now and then and for no particular reason I get what is called a laryngeal spasm which means that my throat closes up and I cant breathe for up to 30 seconds or so.

If it is truly a laryngeal spasm with no determined causation that happens on a regular basis I would think about getting a different hobby.

- Bill

Man, I'd be less than sanguine about laryngospasm with no identifiable trigger, and diving -- on the other hand, you can die from laryngospasm on land as well as you can underwater. The main difference is that on land, you're closer to somebody with the ability to deliver positive pressure ventilation, which can break laryngospasm sometimes. If you are underwater, there is no practical way to do that.

This is a life-threatening condition which, if severe, could be fatal in any circumstance. Being underwater limits your options. It's up to you what your risk tolerance is, but anybody diving with you as a buddy should know about this problem, because you are putting them at risk if it occurs.

Hi Fellow Divers,

I am a newish PADI Open Water diver with about 12 dives to my name and was after a bit of advice from you seasoned pros!

Every now and then and for no particular reason I get what is called a laryngeal spasm which means that my throat closes up and I cant breathe for up to 30 seconds or so. Its obviously not nice but I can always control it - albeit with probably another half hour or so of discomfort and coughing while my throat calms down again. Not really had much luck at the doctors getting the cause identified...

Its happened a couple of times in the last few months so doesnt happen often but I am going to the Maldives next month and am feeling quite nervous about diving in case it happens when I am underwater! Id really like to dive but am feeling a bit nervous understandably i guess!

Kind Regards,

Tim

Hello Tim,

I would keep going to doctors until the cause is discovered. Laryngospasm typically happens in response to some kind of irritant. Is it possible that you have reflux or some anatomic issue and are unaware of it? What are you typically doing when it happens? Are you laying down, standing, sleeping, awake?

This is distressing enough topside. If it happens during a dive (and it might well, if you aspirate even a small amount of water), it would be another thing entirely and could easily be fatal if it causes panic and a rapid ascent. I think you should refrain from diving until you get to the bottom of this and are assured that it will not happen under water.

Late addition: we have a hyperbaric fellow video teleconference going on at the moment and I tossed this one into the ring... the answer was a universal "no" to diving until you get this resolved.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Everybody,

Wow thanks for a great response, it seems overwhelmingly in favour of not diving - which if I am honest was the way I was thinking...

Bob - it sounds like you had exactly the sort of experience I am dreading, well done for getting through it - although I suppose the main difference is that yours was a diving accident of sorts, rather than a pre-existing medical complaint.

DDM - so cool that a team of dive doctors have discussed my issue! - a bit more info - the doctors have already had a good look with an endoscope (unpleasant experience!) and are currently trialling me on a long course of anti-acids to see whether the condition re-occurs as they also suspect acid re-flux as a possible cause / contributory factor. 6 weeks into the course and it has happened once but that was while I had a cold as well and my throat was already quite irritated. There is no common link between occurrences, it can happen while I am awake, asleep, walking, talking, eating or sitting!

You are quite right that although very unlikely to be fatal topside (my doctor advised that if I passed out from lack of oxygen my muscles would instantly relax and i'd start breathing again) it would be an entirely different situation under water - I dread to think what could happen if it went on longer than usual and I started to panic / behave un-rationally. Plus the fact as you say the potential is probably higher due to dry throat and possible water droplets triggering it off.

Be interested to hear anyone elses opinions or experiences but I think I may be sticking to the snorkelling for my holidays this time.

Kind Regards,

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom