issue on night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevenq99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are in Roatan, Honduras. Tonight on a night dive, my daughter got stung or bitten by something in the water. She screamed under the water, tried to get to the surface as quickly as safely possible and had a hard time breathing. She is normally a very relaxed diver, so we knew it wasn't just a small jellyfish sting and a panic attack. The picture of the area on her neck is below. Does anyone have any idea of what might have happened to her? We took her to the doctor at our resort, and he gave her a cortisone shot. We also gave her a dose of Benadryl as well.

l. neck2.jpg

I had something very similar once in Cozumel on the last dive of a vacation. Back of my hand immediately burned and then started swelling up. Probably either brushed by some fire coral or a piece that was floating hit me. Benedryl and hydrocortisone cream didn't do a thing. I started a dose pack of prednisone that night and that took care of it. I have carried a bottle of prednisone in my dive kit for years, but that was the first time I actually made use of it.

I've had this happen a number of times. If there is any stinging critter in the water, it will find me. I carry an assortment of powerful antihistamine and steroid creams prescribed for me by a dermatologist. I also always wear a hood that covers my neck. It was probably thimble jellies. It really hurts at first, then itches forever.

I have a lycra hood I wear at night, otherwise sooner or later something will get me in the neck. Hate a neoprene hood around my neck, but the lycra is light and not bothersome. I also keep some of the seasafe lotion in my stuff, but never remember to use it.

Box jellyfish was the thought of dive master when he looked at it today. Today she feels fine and got back in the water this afternoon. Total cost for 2 trips to the doctor who came out at 8pm and a shot $29! The dive master and staff here at AKR Really responded quickly and effectively to the situation.

The idea of a hood is a great idea as she tends to get cold quickly and for the added protection on her neck.

Sea wasp(s)........

Last edited:
Sea wasp / box jelly agreed. Got hit on the upper arm, both inner and outer surfaces, a few years ago.
Didn't scream, amazingly, but pain was so intense that I experienced perceptual narrowing - a visual whiteout - for over one minute. The feeling was as though a red-hot metal rod was jammed through my arm.

I cannot imagine what getting hit on the throat was like!

I am glad that she received good attention, too, and came through safely!

The experience has very little in common with ordinary in-water stingers and thimble jellies.

I became more sensitive to those minor stings, too, and now carry benedryl and 2% hydrocortisone cream whenever I am going to be in the sea. (Which is pretty well every day!)

I was very proud of her after the doctor gave the ok she did the last 7 dives like nothing ever happened.

Could be something as simple as a piece of stinging nettle or a hydroid just floating in the water column and happened to make contact with her skin. Can feel like a bee sting and be very startling when the person is taken totally by surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom