Cold water urticaria.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JShutterbugF

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a 32 year old female with 20 years of diving experience and I live in New England. I just got my ice diving certification this winter. I was just diagnosed with cold induced urticaria, meaning that I have a very rare disease in which I'm actually allergic to the cold. I break out into hives when in contact with cold air, swell, etc. I can't eat ice cream or frozen drinks because my tongue swells up. I have to carry 2 epipens in case I go into anaphalactic shock.

I tried posting in CU forums on FB about diving but everyone keeps ask me why I would want to risk my life for diving. I guess you just have to be a diver to understand. Are my diving days over???

I tried calling DAN and all they could tell me is that they don't recommend diving with my condition but have no information concerning diving and CU. My doctor has barred me from diving...at least for the moment, while I get on a medication regimen.

I'm hoping that someone on here has or has had this disease and can give me any hope of staying in the water. I'd rather not turn into a "vacation diver" but I guess it would be better than not being one at all. I have a drysuit and I'm hoping it might be my saving grace. Any and all information is appreciated!

JShutterbugF,

I really do not have any advise for you, except to put a hold on everything diving until you have a better handle on the cold uticaria. Nothing is worth potentially putting your health at risk from this disease, and that includes diving. I did the same after suffering a bicycle injury, and I think you should treat this the same way. It's also kinda like what we go through when diving here in Oregon, where the diving conditions are not conducive to getting into the water during the winter months. So consider a "pause" in your diving for the time being. Learn all you can, and hopefully someone will have more information for you from either their experiences or from research.

SeaRat

Perhaps you should ask this question in dive medicine forum. More doctors in regular attendance over there.

OP how cold do you have to be for it yo be a problem? For instance, diving in cold, temerate or wsrm water of any different effect?

I'm not quite sure of my thresholds yet. I've been getting reactions with medicine when the air had been in the 40s and 50s and I know that water reactions are much more extreme. I guess I have to figure that out first.

Hi J,

Cold-induced urticaria is a histamine reaction to cold. It sounds simple, but you'll need to protect your skin from contact with cold water. A drysuit might be a solution. It depends on how sensitive you are.

Did this condition just present itself? It's interesting that you've been diving for 20 years but have never experienced symptoms until you went ice diving. Has all of your diving been in warm water?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi... I have had Cold Urticaria for years... I still dive, however when the water or the weather is cold, I take an antihistamine tablet to avoid the hives. I can tell you that the Urticaria reduced over the years, I just did 5 days of diving in the Red Sea and did not have to take any pills. However, I did a dive a couple of months ago where I came out of the water and the air was relatively cold... I had hives all over and they subsided when I took my pill. I find that AERIUS helps. It's and antihistamine that doesn't make me drowsy.

Hope that helps

I'm a 32 year old female with 20 years of diving experience and I live in New England. I just got my ice diving certification this winter. I was just diagnosed with cold induced urticaria, meaning that I have a very rare disease in which I'm actually allergic to the cold. I break out into hives when in contact with cold air, swell, etc. I can't eat ice cream or frozen drinks because my tongue swells up. I have to carry 2 epipens in case I go into anaphalactic shock.

I tried posting in CU forums on FB about diving but everyone keeps ask me why I would want to risk my life for diving. I guess you just have to be a diver to understand. Are my diving days over???

I tried calling DAN and all they could tell me is that they don't recommend diving with my condition but have no information concerning diving and CU. My doctor has barred me from diving...at least for the moment, while I get on a medication regimen.

I'm hoping that someone on here has or has had this disease and can give me any hope of staying in the water. I'd rather not turn into a "vacation diver" but I guess it would be better than not being one at all. I have a drysuit and I'm hoping it might be my saving grace. Any and all information is appreciated!
Hi! I see you posted this several years ago. I’m hoping you have more info about what worked for you. I am going to Iceland and want to go snorkeling between the tectonic plates but I too suffer from cold uticaria. I’ve had it for over 30 years and it has gotten better for every day things much more severe with more exposures. I pass out when I go into water that is colder than 80 degrees. I know nothing about dry suits and I’m hoping to hear something positive in how to manage in cold water. I’m not going to risk it if it is too dangerous but I am willing to get educated as much as possible because it’s something I really want to do!

Hi! I see you posted this several years ago. I’m hoping you have more info about what worked for you. I am going to Iceland and want to go snorkeling between the tectonic plates but I too suffer from cold uticaria. I’ve had it for over 30 years and it has gotten better for every day things much more severe with more exposures. I pass out when I go into water that is colder than 80 degrees. I know nothing about dry suits and I’m hoping to hear something positive in how to manage in cold water. I’m not going to risk it if it is too dangerous but I am willing to get educated as much as possible because it’s something I really want to do!
The last time the OP was logged into SB was nearly 10 years ago.

Hi @Runae ,

The water temperature there according to Google is 35-39 degrees F. A diving dry suit with a thermal undergarment would likely not keep your skin sufficiently warm. Given your description of the severity of your reaction, this strikes me as quite risky.

If you are determined to do this, I would reach out direclty to a tour operator, find out exactly what kind of equipment they use, thoroughly research that equipment to determine how effective it is at keeping you warm, then discuss the idea with the provider who follows you for this.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom