lumbar epidural

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going in for an epidural injection in the lumbar and or facet and I will be leaving for Grand cayman and a week of diving 14 days later. i am on an antiplatelet and aspirin which I will stop of course 5 days prior to the injections directed by my doctor. I will start them again as directed prior to my trip but my question is should I be concerned about any issues relating to the injection sites and diving? Will I be predisposed to dcs affecting my spine or the possibility of bleeding in the spinal canal or anything else that I may not be aware of?

I don't know what the official answer is, and this DEFINITELY isn't advice, but I was diving not too long after a lumbar epidural. Are you having a betamethasone injection for a herniated disc? If so, know that it did NOTHING to help me long-term (helped for about 72 hours, the length of time I was told to take it easy and recouperate).

If I were you, I'd probably call DAN.

Assuming the procedure is without complications, by 14 days post-procedure, you will be essentially entirely healed from the small puncture. I would not expect any impact on your diving from the procedure at all.

Some people get a good deal of relief from epidural steroids, and others do not. I hope you're one of the former sort!

Thanks Lynne I'm hoping so too! I had good results from injections for heel spurs and trigger finger in the past and hope it follows suit. Say hey to Paul and Alma for me please :)

---------- Post added April 16th, 2014 at 11:50 AM ----------

Victor, I dont know what the actual steroid is but I have 5 herniated discs. How long ago did you have the procedure?

I TRULY hope you're one of the people that gets phenomenal and permanent relief. I have a herniated L4-L5 and L5-S1. The lower one is pinching a nerve, the other is completely benign. Great disc health otherwise. I had the procedure done last August. An acquaintance from work had it done last July. My friend had it earlier this year (February?). We all had similar issues and similar results.

My last post didn't read as I meant it. I was told I'd be better, period. I wasn't told there was a chance of it not doing anything long term, and I certainly wasn't tools there was a chance of it getting worse. I just didn't want you to get your hopes up as I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom