ok to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j yaeger

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
anybody dive with lung cancer?
my blood ox. level is low,but recently did 10 dives to 70-80'
no probs until hang bar
from there onto boat was a btich...short breath,etc
i was just diagnosed today,and have had not a lot of time to consider this
but am def. going to dive
any input?i'm thinking ox.pony for 15'-0' would be a help

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

I remembered this post from a recent thread. Hopefully he won't mind...

I know a lot of divers who are smokers, but less than in the past. What better time to quit? I haven't had a cigarette since 1981. By the way, May 1, 2013 I was diagnosed with lung cancer, and am still treating. Best advice I can give- stop smoking.
DivemasterDennis

I am sorry to hear this. I have no useful information to impart--just wishing you the best.

Jim,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The advice you'll hear from the medical professionals in this forum is probably contrary to your intentions if you are absolutely determined to continue diving no matter what. I recommend seeking out a diving physician in your area for an in-person evaluation.

Best regards,
DDM

Jim,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The advice you'll hear from the medical professionals in this forum is probably contrary to your intentions if you are absolutely determined to continue diving no matter what. I recommend seeking out a diving physician in your area for an in-person evaluation.

Best regards,
DDM
thanks for the input
i'm shooting for a few dives before i start whatever...
the coughing episodes have been ongoing since january and have had
no problems when at depth-but when i get to 15' stop,i can feel the lack of oxygen.
my feeling was the damage is already done,but at the same time
i don't want any further damage done-pressure related?
and i sure don't want to put my buddy at risk
but i wouldn't refuse his help carrying my kit!!!!
we'll see what evolves next week
thanks again
yaeg

The biggest risk with lung cancer, prior to beginning treatment, is that you could have a ball-valve effect in your airway that could lead to an air embolism even without breath-holding. We lost an accomplished cave diver a few years ago in a mine, when he ended up embolizing from an unsuspected and undiagnosed cancer.

Along with that is the fact that a great many people with lung cancer also have lung disease that leads to decreased gas exchange. In your case, since you have not begun treatment (I gather) and you are having shortness of breath at the end of the dive, I suspect problems with gas exchange related to underlying lung damage may be at fault.

If I were you, I would hold off on diving until your staging is complete. Once you know what you have and what your prognosis is, your risk assessment could change drastically.

anybody dive with lung cancer?
my blood ox. level is low,but recently did 10 dives to 70-80'
no probs until hang bar
from there onto boat was a btich...short breath,etc
i was just diagnosed today,and have had not a lot of time to consider this
but am def. going to dive
any input?i'm thinking ox.pony for 15'-0' would be a help

I am very sorry to hear about your condition. I would imagine you have a strong desire to go forward with your life as normal and I believe that is a good attitude to take. I just want to add to what Lynne said I am aware of at least one case where the diver passed away in a diving accident from that very cause. He was blissfully unaware of his condition and the cancer was only discovered after the accident.

here's to good health. Get well.

thanks for the input
i'm shooting for a few dives before i start whatever...
the coughing episodes have been ongoing since january and have had
no problems when at depth-but when i get to 15' stop,i can feel the lack of oxygen.
my feeling was the damage is already done,but at the same time
i don't want any further damage done-pressure related?
and i sure don't want to put my buddy at risk
but i wouldn't refuse his help carrying my kit!!!!
we'll see what evolves next week
thanks again
yaeg

can i ask how youre doing now? and what happened since your last post?
i recently got diagnosed as well. having received my basic card last december, ive been racking up dives as much as possible. makes me wonder how long ive had the issue, at depth i would also feel some kind of restriction/shortness of breath, but being a new diver thought it was normal.
currently doing some free dive training, really basic and nothing over 20 feet at the moment, so im trying to push through it before i cant do any of this at all

raul

currently sitting in the hospital...
had biopsy today on left lung and had collapse
sucks
pretty much sure i'm confined to snorkling and freediving
ive actually come to realize that as much as i love the underwater environment
my most memorable and enjoyable dives were more about the divers i was with
than the actual dives!!!!!!
best of luck and remember that everyone is different!
have fun
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom