Medical Question: Diving 1-yr removed from major sinus and throat surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct sub-forum. I am just looking for some feedback from any medical staffers on here that dive, or anyone who has gone through a similar surgery.

A little over a year ago I was getting very aggressive with my workouts. They were getting longer and more intense. I was having moments were I was getting extremely dizzy, and borderline blacking out. I consulted with my GP, and got a referral for an ENT. At the ENT's office, they did a CT scan of my head, and a few other tests (sleep apnea and such) and we found out that I still had my tonsils, adenoids, my septum had grow horizontally across my left nasal passage, and I had some issues with drainage for my sinuses in my checks. The doctor was quite surprised as I had ZERO issues with any of these, and had no idea of these problems.

We ended up doing surgery with six total procedures. I was under for about 4 hours. Tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, septoplasty, turbinectomy, and a few others I can not remember. Recovery was about 4-6 weeks, but holy-cow was it worth it. I was getting high on oxygen!!!

I have not dived since before the surgery. I recently went to an LDS to schedule a refresher, and in talking with the owner of the LDS as to why I had not dived in such a long time, I mentioned the surgery. He has asked me to get a PADI medical waiver signed by my GP (Completely reasonable, IMO), prior to my refresher.

My question is this: With this type of surgery, is there anything to be concerned with while diving? Will the pressures below water have any negative affects? Do you think there is any reason a doctor would not clear someone after such a surgery?

I am 100% healed from the surgery, and breath so much easier.

Just looking for some insight....

Thanks!!

- Mike

No takers?

I'm doing my refresher this coming weekend. I was hoping to get some insight before then. Hopefully someone replies.

- Mike

You might have better luck if it was in the Medical forum. I'll report the post and see if a mod will move it.
I'm doing my refresher this coming weekend. I was hoping to get some insight before then. Hopefully someone replies.

- Mike

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Diving Medicine.

And please note- no one on the internet can diagnose your condition, hopefully you will be taking the instructors advice and see your doc before the class. :D

Thank you TC!

i wasn't looking for a diagnosis, but more of stories of anyone going through a similar situation. I am going to see my GP on Wednesday, but I don't think he has any experience with diving/divers.

Thanks!

Mike,

What was the explanation for the dizziness and near-syncope during your workouts?

Best regards,
DDM

Mike,

What was the explanation for the dizziness and near-syncope during your workouts?

Best regards,
DDM

When I consulted with the ENT, the first thing they did was a sleep study. On the AHI, I scored a 10 (So mild). As for my tonsils and adenoids, the way it was explained to me was: If I was using a scale of zero to 4 (zero being they were already removed, and 4 being completely restricting my airflow), I was a solid 3 to 3+. Hopefully that makes sense. When we did the CT scan, the results showed my septum had grown across my nasal passage (never broken my nose).

So after all these tests, we came to the following "possible" solution: With the constricted nasal passage due to the septum and adenoids, and the enlarged tonsils, if we did the septoplasty, tonsilectomy, and adenoidectomy that will increase my airflow and hopefully prevent the diziness and other effects while working out. It should also help reduce/eliminate the sleep apnea.

ALSO, one of the reasons I also went to the ENT was because at that point in time, I could not remember the last time I did not have a severely congested nose. The CT scan also showed poor drainage from the maxillary sinus cavity. One of the procedures we did was to improve the drainage of those cavities.

When doing my certification divies, I had some issues with congestion. It almost stopped me from doing the dives, but I pushed through.

Again, just trying to see if there is anything to be overly concerned about.

Thanks!!

All that stuff is also connected to your middle ear. Changes in pressures can make you dizzy.

I had most of the those procedures as an adult and a diver. Tonsils and such as a kid however. Anyway, I noticed nothing different really. Maybe a little easier to clear ears but I never had that problem anyway. No real issues with me. My inner ears and Eustachian tubes are kind of screwed with the years of chronic sinus infections so I get dizzy pretty easy too. Only time it was a real problem was before my sinus cleanouts. During AOW I got a little dizzy because I was turning my head a lot and the water was cold. Got dizzy and blew chunks on the surface. Other than that I have been able to dive the San Francisco (167 feet) with no problems at all. Liveaboards at 5 dives a day. I do take Dramamine every time I have a substantial boat ride. Once the healing is over life is good!!!! Go dive.

Every operator usually has some sort of medical form to fill out and the all ask about sinus surgery. That leaves you two choices. Carry a note from your ENT or lie on the form. I choose to lie on the form as a way absolving the operator of liability. I am a grown up and I know my health and my own risk tolerance. So lets not get into that debate. Just what I need to do.

YMMV

All that stuff is also connected to your middle ear. Changes in pressures can make you dizzy.

I had most of the those procedures as an adult and a diver. Tonsils and such as a kid however. Anyway, I noticed nothing different really. Maybe a little easier to clear ears but I never had that problem anyway. No real issues with me. My inner ears and Eustachian tubes are kind of screwed with the years of chronic sinus infections so I get dizzy pretty easy too. Only time it was a real problem was before my sinus cleanouts. During AOW I got a little dizzy because I was turning my head a lot and the water was cold. Got dizzy and blew chunks on the surface. Other than that I have been able to dive the San Francisco (167 feet) with no problems at all. Liveaboards at 5 dives a day. I do take Dramamine every time I have a substantial boat ride. Once the healing is over life is good!!!! Go dive.

Every operator usually has some sort of medical form to fill out and the all ask about sinus surgery. That leaves you two choices. Carry a note from your ENT or lie on the form. I choose to lie on the form as a way absolving the operator of liability. I am a grown up and I know my health and my own risk tolerance. So lets not get into that debate. Just what I need to do.

YMMV

Thanks ev!!

This was the type of info/stories I was hoping to see.

Thanks!!

Thanks ev!!

This was the type of info/stories I was hoping to see.

Thanks!!

Giving this a little more thought I would suggest that you start slow. Going out on your first trip to a stressful environment might not go well given you may not know how your new roto rooted head will react.

But for me it was a awesome.

Back
Top Bottom