Gastric band or balloon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyklaws

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any issues diving with a gastric band or balloon fitted?

I can't think why it would cause problems, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The balloon is inflated with saline, so there should be no pressure-related problems. Gastric banding should easily permit the release of gas, if that is necessary. I do know people who have had gastric restriction procedures who dive without difficulty.

Hi Krazyklaws,

Here is an earlier post of mine from this forum:

"Since saline typically is used to adjust such bands, as long as no gas is introduced into the system no change in volume should occur during diving. If such changes did take place, the band could be displaced or the stomach damaged.

Post-surgery it is desirable that the diver be able to belch and be free of reflux. In the absence of these desiderata, there is the possibility of injury to the stomach or esophagus.

Arguably more important than the question raised are the respiratory, cardiovascular, endocrine and physical fitness of the diver who has undergone bariatric surgery. Each of these fitness factors should receive careful medical evaluation before undertaking scuba.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo"

Also might want to see this from DAN -->

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Bariatric_Surgery_and_Diving

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom