Shingles + diving liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiburon3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I've unfortunately come down with shingles -on my face- and although 5 days later it seems to be healing (I have some red rashes, itchy, but less painful since taking ACICLOVIR and cream) I'm concerned about whether I will be able to go diving. We're due to fly to Red Sea and go on a liveaboard for a week at the end of this week so I don't want to take any risks, back to doctor end of week, but wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this and has any advice... Thanks!

Hi there, I've unfortunately come down with shingles -on my face- and although 5 days later it seems to be healing (I have some red rashes, itchy, but less painful since taking ACICLOVIR and cream) I'm concerned about whether I will be able to go diving. We're due to fly to Red Sea and go on a liveaboard for a week at the end of this week so I don't want to take any risks, back to doctor end of week, but wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this and has any advice... Thanks!

I'd be concerned that you won't be allowed to enter the country you're traveling to, or allowed on the liveaboard.

Time to use your travel insurance.

Are you concerned about risk to you with diving or risk of transmission to others?

As for risk to you, it would be the same as with any loss of skin integrity and exposure to contaminated water, fresh or salt. Secondary infection would be the concern.

As to risk to others, shingles is not contagious per se, but there is at least a theoretical risk of transmitting the virus to another individual that has never had Chicken Pox or the vaccine. This person could then develop Chicken Pox, not Shingles. But the risk is small. It is transmitted through contact with a fresh, open lesion. Like Chicken Pox, once all the lesions are crusted over, they are no longer consider contagious. With two weeks post onset and on treatment, I would expect you to be well beyond any transmission risk. Whether another country would recognize this, I have no idea.

This person could then develop Chicken Pox, not Shingles.

Subsequent to developing chicken pox, a person is subject to developing shingles (usually many years later). Shingles is a sequela, or secondary effect, to chicken pox.

Subsequent to developing chicken pox, a person is subject to developing shingles (usually many years later). Shingles is a sequela, or secondary effect, to chicken pox.

Thanks for your messages. There appears to be no threat to others unless they actually touch the blisters which is most unlikely! According to my doctor the only issue might be the prolonged water contact with the rash - my concern was if there could be any secondary complications or how one might cope on a livaboard with shingles... I guess I'll have to wait and see and if not yes, use my travel insurance!

Obviously, the blisters in shingles are breaches in the skin integrity, just like any wound. Therefore, there is an infection risk from contact with contaminated water (which sea water kind of is by definition). In addition, the new epithelium forming over the healing blisters is fragile and will be rendered more so by soaking. It's likely not a huge deal, and especially if all the lesions have crusted by the time you go, but depending on the extent of the facial involvement, you might want to be careful about infection, which is far more likely to create a scar than the original shingles lesions are.

It is a correct statement that shingles and chickenpox are caused by the same virus. Primary infection is chickenpox. The virus then resides in the nervous system, to be reactivated after a period of time (often as a result of stress or immunosuppression) as shingles. Virus naïve individuals exposed to shingles lesions will develop chickenpox. People who have had chickenpox in the past will likely not develop any symptoms as a result of contact with an individual with shingles.

Thanks, good advice. Funny, never think of sea water as being 'contaminated' it always seems to have a healing effect to me! Will consult doctor in any case...

Yes the risk of facial scarring must surely be reasonably significant if you immerse the area in salty water for four hours a day. Add in the 40 degree heat too. Another complication of shingles is long term pain , more common in people who are older. But I doubt if it has been studied extensively whether or not the risk is raised by scuba diving.

I see that you say "we" so in that case I would almost definitely go.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Very best wishes

why not get the shingles vaccine? not that it would help in this situation, but to prevent future outbreaks

why not get the shingles vaccine? not that it would help in this situation, but to prevent future outbreaks

Likelihood of recurrence is quite low, and at the time of the outbreak or shortly thereafter is probably not the best time for shingles vaccination. The immune system is already reacting to the virus, and all a vaccination does is stimulate the immune system to react against a virus (or other pathogen).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom