Will I ever be able to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

Lots of great info on this site, glad I found it. Some of my background, I am a college student living in Kentucky. My parents were dive instructors and gave up their passion to spend more time with me when they had me, 21 years ago. They've been diving all over the world and its something I've always wanted to do.

Here's the problem: I was born with a cholesteatoma in my left ear, which required multiple surgeries and eventually a radical mastoidectomy to finish it all off, when I was about 5-6 years old. For those who don't recognize the medical terms, a radical mastoidectomy basically means that I have almost nothing left in my ear - no ear drum, etc. It's essentially an empty cavity. I have a 95% hearing loss in this ear, and I must wear a custom-made ear plug to seal out water, even while in the shower. Absolutely no water can get in, or it bleeds and can cause infection.

I have heard of the Pro-plugs (vented ear plugs) and Pro-Ears mask, but have read reviews where the user states they can leak water. Are these my only options? Because with that kind of reliability I could never use them. I'd be totally down with wearing an astronaut-type helmet/dome that covers my entire head, if there is such a thing. Anything short of buying a submarine I'd be happy with. Being an engineering student I have a hard time with taking no for an answer on this sorta thing, there's gotta be something out there!

Thanks for your time and I would appreciate any help or advice!

Evan

Your best bet would be to ask your doctor. A normal diver can't have their ear completely sealed off because they need to equalize. But I am not sure how that would affect you seeing as you don't have an ear drum.

howdy and welcome....I'm not a doctor, so i would recommend seeing one to get personal info on your case........i have seen full head diving apparatuses........Scuba diving gear Masks Full Face Masks at Scuba.com

I would not trust an ear plug. Sounds like a full face mask is your best chance provided that it also covers your ears. Note that some things like air share, etc, are not done with a full face mask

You could always do helmet diving. It's more of a "tourist" thing, but it gets you underwater.

Any air space must be equalized. "Helmet" diving and NOT wearing the plug seems to me to be the only way to go.

Did a helmet dive in Bermuda. You do get underwater but there is very limited mobility. Would not say it is comprable to scuba.

Hello, KentuckyLBZ,

Firstly, I am sorry about your condition. I am not familiar with it and I cannot comment on how it affects equalization of your air spaces. Perhaps you could repost your question on the diving medicine sub forum to try and get answers from the doctors that are on this board.

On the issue of keeping you ear dry, I think you may be successful. I remember reading on The Last Dive (a very good book, if considerably tragic) that the author, after a diving accident, could no longer get his ear canal wet, and described there the solution he came up with. You may want to research it - and perhaps contact the book author, Bernie Chowdhury.

Best of luck.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I am moving this to the diving medicine forum where it will get the attention of our medical moderators.

Thanks for the input guys. Are there full face masks that keep your ears dry? Maybe like one that is used in conjunction with a dry suit?

To Steve_C, and any others who've used a diving helmet, what is it that you are limited to? Like turning your head and looking around, that sorta thing? I can completely see how constricting and awkward something like that could be when compared to scuba, but at the same time my experience with any of this stuff is extremely limited to snorkeling for random fish off the Florida coast while on vacation. So I would be totally happy with anything that gave me a sustained underwater experience despite the drawbacks of such a system.

Also, is the type of helmet you're referring to the same thing as a Kirby Morgan 37? I searched the threads here and found one for sale, that's how I know about them. As a side note, I will be traveling to Ft. Lauderdale in a couple days on a fishing trip with some friends. What are the chances I could try one of these out while I'm down there?

Back
Top Bottom