reverse barotrauma? maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I am a beginner diver and snorkeler.

I had a some moderate ear pain (left ear only) in June while ascending from diving in Hawaii, which persisted for a couple of days. I went diving again as soon as the pain stopped cause I was in vacation and I wanted to make the most of it, and had no problem. Also no problem flying etc.

Two days ago I was snorkeling and I just freedived down at about 8ft (I know right? Not deep at all!) and then on coming up I felt again the same pain. Now it is still there, kid of a sensation of full ear, not very painful but providing some discomfort. Again only in the left ear. To me it sounds like a sort of middle ear barotrauma, at least from reading in forums online. I am just surprised it happened at such a low depth and always at the same ear.

I went to a primary care doctor this morning and she said the ear looked fine and prescribed me some nasal spray flonase to clear the nose etc.. I don't really have a cold however buy anyway that sounds ok.

Now... I have my advanced open water this weekend and I would really like to do that... is it silly? Shall I give it a miss? Do you recommend any medication / ear plugs?

Thanks a lot!

CJ

PS: The doctor didn't say anything about not diving this weekend, but I don't think she knows much about diving and related issues..

Definitely don't use earplugs. If you can equalize your ears using the Valsalva (pinch and blow) maneuver - you should feel both ears pop - then you're probably ok. Be careful and stay ahead of the descent. If you experience reverse block on the way up again, it's possible that you have an anatomic issue that will need to be addressed by an ENT physician.

Best regards,
DDM

thanks guys! I never experienced reverse block while scuba diving... only snorkeling / free diving... I feel better today so I am trying to dive tomorrow... I will keep you posted. thanks for the help :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom