Searching for safety info on diving with chronic fatigue syndrome/Lyme disease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In search of current info. on this topic. DAN (and my doc) don't know anything. I suspect it might be possible for me to dive warm water, drift diving because of the weightlessness, it could be minimal effort needed. But due to our possible metabolic abnormalities with these illnesses I'm not sure about it, esp ability to get rid of nitrogen in a timely manner. I used to dive 20 yrs ago before I got ill, inspired to try again. My cfs is pretty severe. Any info? Thanks!

Hi NatureGirl46,

As you undoubtedly know, CFS remains a somewhat controversial diagnosis and has a history of misuse by the uneducated. Its symptoms are similar to many other conditions. Fatigue, for instance, can be seen in hundreds of illnesses. You'll want to be confident that your syndrome has been supportably diagnosed and is not the result of something more amenable to effective treatment. In this regard, you may wish to see --> CDC - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) .

Like DAN & your PCP, I am not aware of any research or current info that speaks directly to the issue of diving with CFS.

However, for starters, research has shown that CFS can be associated with:

1. Anxiety, which may predispose to diver panic and/or hyperventilation, both of which can be problematic for scuba.

2. Exercise intolerance, which could prove dangerous under challenging dive conditions, such as surge, strong currents, long surface swims, buddy rescues, etc. And, in the severely affected, even mild exertion can result in profound fatigue. The following recent piece of mine might serve as a useful reference --> How many MET's should the rec diver be able to handle?+

3. While not common, it has been associated with abdominal bloating due to excess gas in the intestines.

4. Generalized muscle & joint pain which, as well as being potentially distracting or limiting, could be confused with DCS.

As for matter of off-gassing nitrogen in a timely manner, this would appear to be low on the list of concerns.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hi NatureGirl46,

As you undoubtedly know, CFS remains a somewhat controversial diagnosis and has a history of misuse by the uneducated. Its symptoms are similar to many other conditions. Fatigue, for instance, can be seen in hundreds of illnesses. You'll want to be confident that your syndrome has been supportably diagnosed and is not the result of something more amenable to effective treatment. In this regard, you may wish to see --> CDC - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) .

Like DAN & your PCP, I am not aware of any research or current info that speaks directly to the issue of diving with CFS.

However, for starters, research has shown that CFS can be associated with:

1. Anxiety, which may predispose to diver panic and/or hyperventilation, both of which can be problematic for scuba.

2. Exercise intolerance, which could prove dangerous under challenging dive conditions, such as surge, strong currents, long surface swims, buddy rescues, etc. And, in the severely affected, even mild exertion can result in profound fatigue. The following recent piece of mine might serve as a useful reference --> How many MET's should the rec diver be able to handle?+

3. While not common, it has been associated with abdominal bloating due to excess gas in the intestines.

4. Generalized muscle & joint pain which, as well as being potentially distracting or limiting, could be confused with DCS.

As for matter of off-gassing nitrogen in a timely manner, this would appear to be low on the list of concerns.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hi Doc Vikingo,
Thanks for your response. I've been ill 23 yrs and the cfs and Lyme diagnoses are confirmed. I would be happy to just start in a pool and see how I do. I can test my exercise intolerance and it may be that diving is too strenuous even for the mildest of conditions. My primary concern, though, is knowing the safety of breathing compressed air or being at depth wiht the metabolic abnormalities. For example, in CFS and some Lyme, the mitochondria of the cells are not producing enough energy and it is concerns like these that make me wonder if nitrogen would properly be offgased. I once took a medication that is metabolized not through the liver/kidneys, but through metabolism...It should be out of the system within 12 hours, but it took 5 days for my body to get rid of it.

When you say that the nitrogen issue is low on the list, I'm thrilled to hear this, but can you tell me a bit more? What makes you draw this conclusion? Are you a physician (Medical Doctor)?

Thanks for any info!!
Wendy

Hi NatureGirl,

I recommend you make an appointment with one of the physicians at the UCSD Hyperbaric Center. They can evaluate you in person and may be able to make some recommendations for you.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom