Scuba and Pacemakers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottAHunt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am lifelong competive swimmer and lover of water. I am thinking about doing a divemaster internship in June after I finish school. However, I do have a pacemaker. My doctor has cleared me for diving, but I was just wondering, what is like to dive with a pacemaker? Are their problems? I appreciate any feedback, thank you!

You need to find out what the unit is rated to for pressure. I'm assuming that your physician has evaluated the REASON why you have a pacemaker, and is content that the particular unit you have has the ability to adapt to exercise demands, as well.

You need to find out what the unit is rated to for pressure. I'm assuming that your physician has evaluated the REASON why you have a pacemaker, and is content that the particular unit you have has the ability to adapt to exercise demands, as well.

Thanks! I have a Medtronic pacemaker. I have read that it is built to stand up to 180 feet. I have it for congenital heart block

So, is it AV sequential, and can it accelerate with exercise? I assume so, since you say you are a competitive swimmer. If so, I don't foresee any significant problems with diving and using it.

So, is it AV sequential, and can it accelerate with exercise? I assume so, since you say you are a competitive swimmer. If so, I don't foresee any significant problems with diving and using it.

Yes I believe it is. Should I avoid certain depths? Are you a physician? Thanks for your help!

I regularly dive with an 80 year old who has a pacemaker. He dives every weekend to 45 to 50 metres (145+ feet). However, he will not dive in any sort of a current. He has been doing this for about 15 years.

I am 22 and a competitive swimmer, I hope I'm healthy like that when I'm 80. How long has he had the pacemaker?

call Medtronics and get the official pressure testing statistics for your particular pacemaker...they do pressure test their equipment.

I worked with a commercial diver who had a pacemaker and still dove for a major offshore diving contractor. You should obtain medical clearance from both your cardiologist and an experienced diving physician, but the presence of a pacemaker does not absolutely rule out diving.

Best regards,
DDM

the ONLY answer is to have your cardiologist speak with DAN. The issues with the pacemaker itself are only one part of this. YOUR SPECIFIC medical condition is the other part of the puzzle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom