Medtronic Pacemakers and Scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottAHunt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Scott Hunt. I am 22 years old and have a Medtronic Pacemaker for complete heart block.

Ive be wanted to get into scuba diving for a very long time now. However, all the doctors I have spoke to have been rather inconclusive when it comes to me diving.

Most of the doctors I've talked to have said my pacemaker is rated to 50 feet, but I could probably go deeper. Unfortunately, they will not clear me for diving. I was just wondering if there were any divers out there with Medtronics who could give me some feedback on this issue. What are the average depths you dive too? Who else could I speak to about this? Thank you!

Secondary issue you need to consider- if you were to have an accident while diving we do the hyperbaric treatment for DCS at 60 fsw and the treatment for an AGE starts at 165fsw.

That pacemaker really isn't suitable for diving.

Pacemaker makes and models have different depth ratings, but this feature is almost never considered at the time of placement. At minimum you need one rated for the depth of your intended diving and then clearance from the cardiologist to dive for whatever the condition the pacemaker was placed for. Should you find one suitable, it can be changed at the time of battery replacement or should the current one malfunction for any reason. Pacemakers are a in solid metal container and they will be crushed taken deep leading to at worst, fatal issues.

I'd get one capable of the deepest possible depth as a margin of safety, even if you don't intend to do such depths. Do your own homework and call all the manufacturers, because doctors and hospitals are usually stuck to a particular brand usually based on volume purchase contract issues, and diving is not a consideration in the choices.

Pacemaker Club: Support & Information For Pacemaker & Defibrillator Patients

Medtronic will be able to tell you exactly what the pressure rating of your pacemaker is based on the model and serial number. Call their customer service line. Typically the modern ones are rated to 2 atmospheres (66 fsw). Whatever the depth limitation is, stay shallower, provided of course that you have clearance to dive from both your cardiologist and a trained diving physician. Tom makes an excellent point about DCS treatment.

Best regards,
DDM

The official stance from Medtronic is 50 feet, but I have heard from other experts that is can go to 70 feet. Is it worth getting certified?

Lots of colour and abundant life in the shallow parts of a cora reef, above 50 feet. The majority of the coral reef life is well shallower than that.

If you are set on Scuba diving, one option is PADI "Scuba Diver". Training depths are limited to a maximum of 12 metres/40 feet. The certification does not train you to dive independently. After certification you would be restricted to guided dives with a PADI Professional to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet. Essentially the training consists of the first three confined water sessions and the first two open water dives of the "regular' open water course.

Of course there is always free diving, and with training will allow you to enjoy the "scenery" without the potential risks.

However, as TC pointed out, a real concern is not the diving itself, but the potential risk involved should you ever require recompression.

The official stance from Medtronic is 50 feet, but I have heard from other experts that is can go to 70 feet. Is it worth getting certified?

Im not a MD Scott, but dang, I don't think you should dive. I feel for you, totally crappy situation to be in....

There are some additional factors to consider as well, like what if something happens to you, how will your dive buddies handle that? And what if something happens to your dive buddy, can you rescue him at 100 feet?

There are organizations that take people diving who have challenges, with high level trained-skilled DM' volunteers who are equipped to deal with issues that might arise, hopefully someone will pipe in with some info....

Is it worth it? Not knowing all the information and not being a cardiologist I would probably say to me it would not be worth it. Too me the risks are too high, so my answer would be no, it isn't worth the risk. But that is just me.

Scott, if the doc's won't give you a clearance for diving as you state in your post you should consider another hobby. Unfortunate but diving against medical advice is not smart.

If the doc's you went to are not familiar with diving then by all means get a second opinion from a doc that does. DAN can help you locate one if needed.

Are you sure that is the official statement, or is someone giving you what they think is true?

Here is a link to an official statement from another maker of Pacemakers, St. Jude. It is a word-for-word quote from their official statement on that topic.

To sum it up for the rest of you who don't want to read it, all the pacemakers they have made since 1999 have been pressure tested to 7 atmospheres--about 200 feet. The statement also said that they did not fail after that--they just did not have the capacity to test them at any greater pressure.

I find it hard to believe that Medtronic technology would be any different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom