Diving after pituitary tumor surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I am having transsphenoidal pituitary surgery in December to remove a 5cm tumor. My surgeon as told me I can dive after everything heals in 6-8 weeks.

I am concerned about the pressure aspect as he is not a diver. Has anyone been diving after this surgery or told they should not dive anymore?

I am also contacting DAN on Monday.

Thanks,

Last edited:
just call DAN or Duke Hyperbarics, they'll have dealt with that plenty of times. 6-8 weeks is a lot of time for the body to heal and as your brain doesn't have air space, the only real pressure should be from your hood...

Hi GAFUN,

I believe you will be having "transsphenoidal" pituitary tumor surgery.

You don't mention what the nature of the tumor is, but statistically one would expect that it's a macroadenoma. There also is no mention of whether or not the tumor has led to a significant over or under-production of certain important hormones.

Given an uncomplicated tumor & excision, an estimate of complete healing of the wounds & medical release to full physical activity, including scuba, of 6-8 wks is a reasonable standard, although I know of cases where folks resumed diving after just 4 weeks, or had to wait longer while hormonal balance was being achieved.

As for worries about the changes in barometric pressure inherent in scuba, this should not be a worry as the surgery should create no air-filled spaces. Any mechanical pressure resulting from wearing a hood is irrelevant.

Best of luck with your surgery and I hope you have a speedy & complete recovery.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

PS: Please let us know what DAN has to say.

Last edited:
Hi GAFUN,

I believe you will be having "transsphenoidal" pituitary tumor surgery.

You don't mention what the nature of the tumor is, but statistically one would expect that it's a macroadenoma. There also is no mention of whether or not the tumor has led to a significant over or under-production of certain important hormones.

Given an uncomplicated tumor & excision, an estimate of complete healing of the wounds & medical release to full physical activity, including scuba, of 6-8 wks is a reasonable standard, although I know of cases where folks resumed diving after just 4 mos, or had to wait longer while hormonal balance was being achieved.

As for worries about the changes in barometric pressure inherent in scuba, this should not be a worry as the surgery should create no air-filled spaces. Any mechanical pressure resulting from wearing a hood is irrelevant.

Best of luck with your surgery and I hope you have a speedy & complete recovery.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

PS: Please let us know what DAN has to say.

Thank you for the info.

Yes, my tumor is 3cm and was affecting my hormones. I started taking Synthroid and my testosterone is very low, 70. I do not have Cushings.

I will update after I talk to DAN

Thanks!

Hi,

I am having Transphenodal pituitary surgery in December to remove a 5cm tumor. My surgeon as told me I can dive after everything heals in 6-8 weeks.

I am conserned about the pressure aspect as he is not a diver. Has anyone been diving after this surgery or told they should not dive anymore?

I am also contacting DAN on Monday.

Thanks,

Did I read "5 cm" tumor correctly? Exactly what kind of tumor was it, and what symptoms were you having?

Best regards,
DDM

Doc, wasn't saying the pressure was significant from the hood, just that that should be the only pressure that should be on his head. Will be interesting to see what comes back though.

Did I read "5 cm" tumor correctly? Exactly what kind of tumor was it, and what symptoms were you having?

Best regards,
DDM

Sorry, I meant to type 3cm, The MRI showed it was about an inch.

I was very tired and weak and had my testosterone checked and it was very very low, about 5. (my primary doc told me he had never seen lower) I used gels for about
a year and a half and got it up to about 245, but was still tired. After seeing some of the issues with strokes and gels, I told my doc that it wasnt working and I wanted to stop the gels.
He sent me to a Endocrinologist that did blood work and had an MRI. The MRI showed a 3 cm tumor.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

I spoke with DAN and they told the the only issue would be the healing of the bone in the Sinoid Sinus cavity after surgery.
He said I should wait longer than 6-8 weeks and maybe 4 months. I should find out the status of the bone healing on follow up MRI's.

I would appreciate comments or other experiences.

Thanks

I spoke with DAN and they told the the only issue would be the healing of the bone in the Sinoid Sinus cavity after surgery. He said I should wait longer than 6-8 weeks and maybe 4 months. I should find out the status of the bone healing on follow up MRI's.]

Thanks, GAFUN.

Four months would be an extremely conservative wait given an uncomplicated surgery & normal healing rates.

You very likely will undergo an MRI at about 8-12 weeks post-surgery. Your treating neurosurgeon should be able to give a well-supported decision on return to scuba at that time.

Cheers,

DocV

Hi @GAFUN

I'm about to have the same surgery. What ever happened to your ability to dive?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom