Diving with Tamoxifen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrrworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife, an avid diver for the past 15 years, is close to finishing up chemotherapy for breast cancer. As part of her post surgery (she had a single mastectomy) and post-chemotherapy treatment, she will take tamoxifen for the next five years. I've done some research but have seen very little on this and nothing recent. For example, there was an inclusive post on this forum about 10 years ago about diving while taking tamoxifen.

Anyone have any experience or know of someone who continued to dive while taking tamoxifen? We could play it safe and not dive for five years but that is not what my wife wants to hear and, as we are moving to Australia for the next four years, that would be a bummer.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

She should naturally speak to a dive physician before resuming diving after chemo, surgery with or without Radiation, however I cannot think of any reason why she should not be able to dive on Tamoxifen. There is little issues as far as the side effects and risks of tamoxifen specifically that would pertain to diving.

Hi Michael,

I really don't know much about this issue, and a search of customary medical sources revealed no published studies on the subject. Best as I know, the data analysis in the Pink Tank Project remains to be made public.

I suspect that you know tamoxifen can have a range of side effects, some of them worrisome. I'll limit my reply to some of those having potential implications for scuba.
There may be others:

1. Blood clots (thrombosis) are one of the more serious, documented adverse reactions. Given the plane rides, sometimes long, that many dive trips involve, and the venous gas emboli typically formed during ascent from a dive, even recreational dives where safe decompression guidelines are observed, one could be at increased risk.

Any swelling, redness, discomfort or warmth in the legs, breathing difficulty, sharp chest pain or other unusual developments should be brought to immediate medical attention.

2. A tendency to cause nausea & vomiting could by itself, or combined with boat rides & u/w surge, interfere with diving.

3. Mood swings/depression are not uncommon. To the extent that these may impair attention/concentration, decision-making, ability to tolerate routine aggravations, impulse control, or even bring on suicidal thought, the risk to scuba is obvious.

4. Loss of energy also is not uncommon. To the extent that this may impede ability to respond to the possible rigors of scuba, such as dealing with heavy currents, unexpected downwellings, buddy rescue & the like, this would be problematic.

5. Memory loss. This has yet be to solidly confirmed, but one should be on the look out for any significant changes in this function.

An adequate topside trial on the medication prior to scuba should reveal much about what enduring side effects, if any, one is going to experience.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom