CO limits in tanks ( and detection of )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just acquired a new Analox detector for detection of CO in my scuba tanks before diving. I cannot find any guidelines on the internet as to the recommended safety limits for detection of CO in tanks. In other words, the CO detector says "X" after a reading on a tank. Is "X" safe and what are the cuttoffs ?? What is the range on the detector that is safe to dive and what is the level after which you says" I'm not diving that tank ". Reading the instructions, calibrating it and blowing into it, I get a level of 3 .
Thanks

I am rather anal about this and will not tolerate ANY in my tanks.

This question has been asked a few times on scubaboard this year. I think the general consensus seems to be <5ppm is okay. Search and don't take my word as gospel. Personally, I'm with D636 I wouldn't dive if I had detected any CO at all.

The manual for the Analox says 3 ppm limit based on a British standard. Other sources say much higher is tolerated well. But remember that pressure is involved. I stick with 3 or less. Preferably 0.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Thank you for the responses. Dsix36, it surprised me that I can get a level of 3 just with me blowing into it after calibration. I'd rather not have any level of CO as well. Hatul, please do me a favor and do what the instructions suggest. Deep breath, hold for 5 seconds and gently blow into the CO analyzer after calibration. I'd really like to know if you can get any readings above the "0" of calibration. kwinter, neither I nor the lds could find that 3 level anywhere in the manual. Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with 3 or less.

0 is the correct answer. :)

If I read a 1 or 2, I accept that it may be just a rounding result as we deal with parts per million - a very tight reading. If I get 3 or more, I wonder what else is getting into the tank that should not be there.

I've been checking my tanks with the Analox and get 0 every time, same as ambient air.
And that gets boring, until you discover your first tainted tank. :eek:

Thank you for the responses. Dsix36, it surprised me that I can get a level of 3 just with me blowing into it after calibration. I'd rather not have any level of CO as well. Hatul, please do me a favor and do what the instructions suggest. Deep breath, hold for 5 seconds and gently blow into the CO analyzer after calibration. I'd really like to know if you can get any readings above the "0" of calibration. kwinter, neither I nor the lds could find that 3 level anywhere in the manual. Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with 3 or less.

My Analox reads 2 when I breathe into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom