Feeling of losing consciousness during ascent.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmg6768

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

My wife and I went to Bonaire earlier this month for our honeymoon and she experienced a strange feeling during ascent on our two dives.

A little background on us. We are recently certified and don't have a whole lot of experience so we picked easy dives in Bonaire. She has, since a young age, always had problems with her ears (plane trips can be extremely painful) and she experienced problems while getting her certification with equalization as well. She said that sometimes if she went too fast when we got to our bottom depth she would have to sit for a second and gather herself because she would feel very disoriented. Learning this we decided to take our descents at a much slower pace. This would help sometimes, but not always and it seems to be one ear more than the other. On our last dive during certification when she surfaced she actually had a slight bloody nose, but no other strange feelings.

Fast forward a few months to August and we do a shallow (15') dive in Florida and she experiences no problems other than her normal difficulty equalizing. We went slow so it wasn't a big problem.

Now here we are in Bonaire from the 11th to the 18th of November. We go to Buddy Dive to do our orientation dive and get weights set up etc....We do our normal slow descent, but she seems to be having a little more difficulty equalizing this time. Particularly one ear, eventually we get it all taken care of and go down to about 45' and enjoy the nice views. I'm leading the way after about 20 minutes or so I gradually start to decrease our depth. right around 30' I feel a tug on my arm and get the signal to stop. I stop and wait, then we proceed a minute later. We finish our dive with safety stop and all and surface. At the surface I ask her why she wanted me to stop. She said she she felt like she was about to pass out for a bit, but the feeling subsided. I attributed this to her not being able to equalize on the way down possibly screwing with her on the way up.

We decide to try another dive the next day at Oil Slick. We start our dive by swimming out to the buoy and using the rope as a descent line so she can control her depth and aid in her equalization. Some difficulty equalizing but not as much as at buddy dive. We dive down to about 45 feet again and enjoy the sights. This time when we turn around I don't head back on the exact same path as we took out (parallel to the shore line), I take an angled approach towards the buoy line, and that way we can ascend with the slope of the ground slowly and safely. We reach 15 feet and level off for our safety stop and reach the buoy line. After the stop we ascend slowly and right at about 10 feet she grabs me again and I can tell she's feeling woozy. Her eyelids are sort of half closed and she has that look like she is very tired. We surface and he's got a bloody nose again and tells me that she felt like she was gonna pass out again.

After that, I said no more dives for the rest of the trip until we saw an ENT back home and hopefully find out what's going on. I've done a little research myself and I was wondering if this was some sort of alternobaric vertigo? She says that she doesn't feel like anything is spinning, she just feels like, and I quote, "I'm about to have an out of body experience". We haven't set up an appointment with an ENT yet, but that's coming soon. I don't want to dive again until she sees one. We are also considering proplugs, but I don't really have a lot of faith that those will help.

Has anyone experienced this or known of anyone that has? I'd love to get some ideas and recommendations before we visit the ENT.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I get alternobaric vertigo, more often than I like. Dozens of times. The dizziness is pretty severe and it causes other symptoms like nausea and then an adrenaline rush due to the fear it induces and can even be a loss of eye control or impaired vision and disorientation. I have never felt like I was going to pass out. Keeping her out of the water is smart in my opinion

After that, I said no more dives for the rest of the trip until we saw an ENT back home and hopefully find out what's going on. I've done a little research myself and I was wondering if this was some sort of alternobaric vertigo? She says that she doesn't feel like anything is spinning, she just feels like, and I quote, "I'm about to have an out of body experience". We haven't set up an appointment with an ENT yet, but that's coming soon. I don't want to dive again until she sees one. We are also considering proplugs, but I don't really have a lot of faith that those will help.

Well one thing is clear, which is that you were wise to take this precaution. Obviously this isn't normal.

I'm not a doctor but Google is and it would appear that there are a number of underlying medical conditions that could cause vertigo and nosebleeds. If I could give you any advice as a layperson it would be to consider the ENT your first stop, not your only stop, especially if they can't find anything.

R..

An ent visit is definitely the fist thing on our list to do.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I've had buddies with this issue. Both times, it was a ruptured ear drum from previous dives that hadn't healed. Caused all kinds of issues.

The combination of difficulty equalizing, blood in the mask, and a disorientation problem that only occurs on ascent and primarily in shallow water, makes me strongly suspect this is a manifestation of some type of alternobaric vertigo. I had horrible vertigo as a new diver, and I would never have described it as spinning. Sometimes it was simply disorientation in space (not knowing which way was up). Sometimes I was sure I was doing somersaults, even though I wasn't.

As an ER doc, one of the most difficult challenges I face on a regular basis is trying to get a patient to describe dizziness accurately -- is it lightheadedness and a feeling of impending loss of consciousness, or a feeling of disorientation in space. I spend sometimes ten minutes, asking very specific and detailed questions, to try to sort this out, and even at the end, sometimes I'm not sure and the patient isn't, either. People find it very difficult to describe the precise quality of such sensations.

Me I was in a car accident. Hit my head on the car messed up my neck. If you turn the lights out it seems like the whole world is spinning. Put me underwater and chances are it's going to be just like that. She might want to see an ear and throat doctor to have her ears checked. Your ears are what keeps you balanced. If she closes her eyes and stands up does she spin like a top that's what I do you just start rocking as you try to balance and you feel like your falling.

The reason she might be having problems is you have no flat surface as a referance point to see. For me it's spinning to the right and light headness. Docotors keep saying your fine your fine... They don't even read the medical reports from other doctors... Get a good doctor is my advise.

Agree with above. Get ears checked by a proper doc!
Have had this happend to me to many times, alternobaric vertigo. kinda feels like a "black out" for the first times i guess. everything just spins around like crazy and so on..
I got diagnosed with "swimmers ears syndrome".. have started using 'aqua ear' after each dive now, and never been bothered since.. done lots of up&down current dives and similiar, no problems! hope it lasts :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom