Diving after having a nissen fundoplication wrap hiatel hernie surgery!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all:

I have been scuba diving for about 13 years as a advance diver & i LOVE the sport. Last year i had surgery for a hiatel hernia involving the stomach being wrapped around the food pipe, stitch creating a one way valve.

The impression that i got from my doctor and researching on the internet about same the info that i'am getting is that the pressure from diving could do [50/50] damage due to a ruptured diafram.
Although the doctor did not say not to dive, to me he was not entirely sure.
So i was wondering if any fellow divers had this operation could give me some advice about same.

I sure that i hate to half to sell off my equipment.

thanks all:

sam :shocked2:

Sam, if the surgery was properly done, you should have retained the ability to belch or even vomit. In that case, expanding gas in the stomach is of no more concern than it is in anyone else.

Ditto TSandM. If you can burp you should be fine provided you have no other contraindications to diving. Allegheny General and UPMC Presbyterian both have hyperbaric facilities that can evaluate divers if you have any doubts about your fitness to dive.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi guys:

Thanks for the advice. Still checking though!
Yes i'am fine since i had the surgery and i can burp . The only problem i have and the doctor was right is that i can vomit. He has given pills for same in which i hardly use.
I pass alot of gas in which i like and my wife gives me hell but what the heck. lol
Ill check with DAN in which i'am member and if their are others out their with the same problem please fill free to comment.

thanks.

sam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom