How do I fix inner ear infection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I grabbed some anti-biotics just now.

I did try dipping q tips into a solution the last time I had it.
Cant remember the solution now tho.

Any tips?!

I grabbed some anti-biotics just now.

I did try dipping q tips into a solution the last time I had it.
Cant remember the solution now tho.

Any tips?!

I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

If your eardrum is intact, nothing you pour into your ear will cure an inner ear infection.

If your eardrum isn't intact, whatever you pour into your ear can cause pain or more damage.

I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

The last time I saw a dive doctor and he told me about the q tip/solution trick.

Are you confusing Outer Ear with Inner Ear infection? Two very different sets of possibilities of remedies with that.
With an inner ear infection, you need to see a doctor and get the appropriate prescription should he/she deem that appropriate.

Q-tips and solutions can only alleviate symptoms and source of infection of the Outer Ear only.

The last time I saw a dive doctor and he told me about the q tip/solution trick.
Yep, and that treatment may have been perfect for what the doctor saw that time. But it does not mean that is the same exact malady and that he would prescribe that treatment this time.

In other words, the cause of the ear problem could be one of several things, each with its own treatment. Of course, sometimes what we think is inner ear issue is really some water trapped in the outer ear canal. They sell drops for that at the local drug store. Worth a stop at the local drug store on the way to see the doctor to see if that solves the problem.

Was just there last August. Blew an ear drum and got an infection. Had to get an oral antibiotic to clear it up. If it is an inner/middle ear infection nothing you put in your other ear will get though the eardrum to the infection. It has to be an oral drug.

As Fots said see a doctor. I went to an Urgent Care Suday night and then to an ENT the next week.

I would reconsider ever using Q-Tips, more likely to hurt something than help.
If you have an outer ear infection (swimmers ear) an alcohol rinse may help enough to let your body fight the infection off if you get it early enough. The drops sold at the drug store are mostly alcohol.
If you don't treat it, the pain can be incredible (been there, done that) so don't put of the doc too long, its not something you can ride out.
Inner ear infections are fairly rare, as stated above oral antibiotics are needed.
They are 2 totally different things needing totally different treatments, if you don't know for sure, get to a doc ASAP

Are you confusing Outer Ear with Inner Ear infection? Two very different sets of possibilities of remedies with that.
With an inner ear infection, you need to see a doctor and get the appropriate prescription should he/she deem that appropriate.

Q-tips and solutions can only alleviate symptoms and source of infection of the Outer Ear only.

To be fair, its inside my ear, so its inner ear. lol.

But yeah, sounds like outer ear.

Go see a doctor, if you try to self medicate you may only make it worse and then it will take longer to recover keeping you out of the water even longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom