Any suggestions on how to keep my ears from becoming infected?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I did some diving in mid Dec and for about 2 weeks after I had swelling, ringing, and pain in my ear.
I believe it was infected as I took some anti-biotics and it cleared up within a few days.

Is there any way to prevent this in the future?

I have seen ear plugs, do they help/work at all?

Could I swab my ears out with anything after diving?

TIA.

Vinegar & alcohol are the most effective preventatives. Divers Alert Network has published articles showing the use of either or both can be effective, but I think the mix of both is best - alcohol to dry the inside and vinegar to return the pH balance. The Swimmer's Ear products sold in stores are generally only alcohol based with a little glycerin to reduce possible sting felt as I think vinegar has a short shelve life once mixed.

I mix equal parts of white vinegar and 50% alcohol, squirt a little glycerin, and fill a few bottles before any dive trip - and it's almost free once you find useful applicator bottles. I actually reuse old Swimmer's Ear bottles orignally purchased OTC. I just rinse each ear after each and every diver or shower of a trip. Replace mix if over a month old, but again - virtually free.

There are countless variations on the above, but it is preventative only. Once you let your ears get infected, too late for this mix.

I used DOCS vented earplug. It did wonders for me as claimed. Just need to follow instructions and make sure u get a fittingsize. Get fitted at a shop & buy it. Then buy some back up from Amazon.

Also, used the alcohol swimmers drop w 50% "vinegar" mixture.

Careful use after 26 multiple dives averaging 3 a day. I was the only one in our group w o any ear issues.

Do a search on these topics here should turn up lots info since I'm no guru as many others are.

I used DOCS vented earplug. It did wonders for me as claimed. Just need to follow instructions and make sure u get a fittingsize. Get fitted at a shop & buy it. Then buy some back up from Amazon.

Do the ear plugs allow you to equalize ok?

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 07:03 PM ----------

Thanks for the link.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 07:04 PM ----------

I mix equal parts of white vinegar and 50% alcohol, squirt a little glycerin, and fill a few bottles before any dive trip - and it's almost free once you find useful applicator bottles. I actually reuse old Swimmer's Ear bottles orignally purchased OTC. I just rinse each ear after each and every diver or shower of a trip. Replace mix if over a month old, but again - virtually free.

Thanks Don.

Are you sure it was infected? The symptoms you described could also be attributed to middle or inner ear barotrauma, the symptoms of which could also resolve within that time span. Were you given oral antibiotics or or drops that you put into the ear canal?

If the source of the symptoms was infection, those particular symptoms are more characteristic of otitis media (middle ear infection) than otitis externa (external ear canal infection). The recommendations given above may help to one degree or another to prevent external ear infection but would not do anything for otitis media.

DoctorMike is our resident ENT expert. Hopefully he'll jump in too.

Best regards,
DDM

Are you sure it was infected?

The recommendations given above may help to one degree or another to prevent external ear infection but would not do anything for otitis media.

I am pretty sure. I have had barotrauma before and it was different to this.
Plus I had it for 2-3 weeks and it was only getting worse until I took some anti-biotics.

Is there anything I could do to prevent otitis media?
I am guessing the ear plugs would work for the middle ear?!

The drops help prevent outer ear infections but if your sinuses are congested you may not be able to clear your ears and you may develop a sinus infection or an infection behind your ear drum. That's the problem that I've had for years and it ruined some dive vacations. Below is a post about the approach I've taken that has helped me, but it would be a good idea to consult an Ear Nose and Throat doctor to figure out the problem and the best prevention or treatment.

And if you can tolerate an antihistamine and decongestant then I also find them helpful. I take a 12 hour Allegra-D (a non-prescription drug that you get from the pharmacist). I take it when I wake up on dive days and it helps, but some people get sleepy (or wired) from this type of medication, so test it out in advance to see how you react.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-and-those-considering-diving/213757-getting-cold-after-diving-2.html#post7312280

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom