Best tablet for sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is there one that consistently works better?

How long before the dive, or journey, should they be consumed?

Are there any natural alternatives that work well?

Personally, I use Meclizine. Cheap and works well for me.

Jim

Yes SIR! 100 tabs for $12 or something like that, works great, no sides. love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Travacalm. It has the active ingredient from the patch, Hyoscine. I get the H.O, Hyoscine Only. They also make them that are a mix with Dimenhydrate, Dramamine. I have to order them from Australia but they work. I got sick every boat dive for years. After 2 weeks of diving it gets better, but by then we are done. With Travacalm I was a little sick on one really rough day in 2 years but not really sick. This was on a local fishing boat out for 7 hours or so and one of the local fishermen was sick too. It was rough. These work for me.

+3 for Meclizine (active ingredient in Bonine). Talked a friend into a snorkeling trip in St. Lucia with my assurances that the Bonine would protect him from motion sickness, a problem that he had in the past no matter what medications he had tried. A bottle of scotch rode on the result. With the Bonine, he had a great time, no motion sickness, and I enjoyed the bottle of scotch.

Another vote for Meclizine (active ingredient in Bonine).

Is Meclizine still a prescription only drug???
Quick story: about 15 years ago, I had vertigo resulting from an inner ear virus. Something called Antivert was prescribed- active ingredient Meclizine. It worked, but when I noticed that Bonine-over the counter had the same active ingredient, I asked the druggist why was one OTC and the other "prescription only" (same amount of Meclizine). He just smiled, shook his head, and said "I have no idea, but the Bonine costs more.....

Travacalm.

Thank you for the reply but it has caffeine in it and I am off that.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

Will have to go into a pharmacy and check it out.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Is Meclizine still a prescription only drug???

No, it's over the counter... I think the last time I got it was at CVS but you can also find it online at Amazon in huge quantities for very cheap.

Jim

I use Dramamine. Full strength pill the night before and a 'non-drowsy' pill about an hour before the boat departs.

Thank you for the reply but it has caffeine in it and I am off that.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

Will have to go into a pharmacy and check it out.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Travacalm H. O. is Hyoscine only. It has no caffiene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom